Monday, May 14, 2007

The Wretched Wreck of a Deck Project -- The Planning Phase

I had a good deal of trouble from the start envisioning what should go here. I thought this was because the wretched deck was in the way, crowding my vision...



... then the deck was peeled away, pitched aside, still nothing came to mind... A fire pit? A dance pavillion? A Suite at the Plaza? What?
And then... and then... a Gingerbread House! Truly. And a sandbox. And a pond... a Children's Garden.


A little thatched cottage (with a dutch door) at the back left, a bird bath, a raspberry bush to the right ... There in the center is a table and a couple of chairs -- a nice place for a snack or lunch or to pot up new plants. For the pond, I have been eyeing Ms. GreenThumb Jean's Tea Kettle Fountain... I have a pump that has been awaiting a place... and I think dishes will be a splendid addition.

On the back wall I have a harlequin of green -- that's an esplanade of ivy. I did get the structure for that set. It's twine now... but I am thinking what I need is something more substantial, something like affixed lath.

The little drawing gives me a direction, a notion of what goes where. Part of the plan has included watching the sun -- seeing how much of it shines where and at what time of day. The little house is placed where the sun shines the longest -- so even then it's shaded. And I thought it would be a muddy mess till the end of time.

8 comments:

Oblique Angles said...

Oh, Jenny, what an enchanting idea! A child's secret garden. Complete with a gingerbread house no less! You wouldn't be planning ahead for your upcoming star-spangled grandchild, would you? Lucky, lucky baby!

Betty said...

I can't wait to see the completed project...especially the little cottage.

Vallen said...

What a dream come true that garden of yours will be - grandmas are so creative when given just a little time.

Jean said...

What a great idea! It sounds just lovely! I'm sure it is something that will be ever changing when you find new things to add but I can't wait to see the finished project!

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Jenny, sounds like a wonderful plan to me. Can't wait to see it going along. Happy dreaming!

Rhoda

Francie...The Scented Cottage Studio said...

Oh Jenny, how so VERY sweet of you to plan and create a retirement home for me...sigh, you are just the BESTEST friend. (( ))

Mary Anne said...

What a sweet little garden ! I LOVE it -- keep us all posted on how it's going -- and when you're officially a grandma !!

karlascottage.typepad.com said...

Oh, I can't wait to see the gingerbread house~