Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Another Pretty Thing


I am one of those people who just can't help themselves -- I walk around the planet redesigning it or taking in designs and color combinations that work and wanting to carry them from here to there. Carpet designs, rock formations, colors on this house or that dress. And lately I have dared get my hands on things I did not previously consider my purview, a sort of coloring outside the lines in real life. You know what happens -- as soon as those lines are blurred, nothing is out of bounds. Furniture gets painted crazy colors and dresses get cut in funny shapes.

And so, when Teresa, at Aunt Ts Paper Arts, had a giveaway of these plastic $1.00 pencil boxes up for grabs I was game in a heart beat. I think she had five of them to give away and I was one of the lucky recipients. The proviso was that the pencil box had to be altered and photographed. All righty.
The purple is textured card stock and the green is torn paper.
The plastic flap is clear-ish with a color copied butterfly under it that shows through pretty well -- better than it does here in Blogger Photo Haze. All the butterflies are color copies from old encyclopedias and science books. Also, the plastic flap has been scallop-trimmed, edged with copper foil and hole punched for brass wire and beads.
The snap is covered with a crocheted flower -- I tied a silk ribbon in the center for a shot of color. The tassel is made of embroidery floss (I have a ton of embroidery floss and not even a spare ounce of patience to spend embroidering) and it is attached to the side with an eyelet.
My favorite aspect of this little pencil box is the little girl standing there. She is my grandmother and I have reduced apostcard sized rose to fit into her hand. She needed it. I love this photo of my grandma -- it is one of two that I use quite a lot. In this one she is about six and has an intelligent face. It is a face that says, "I have better things to do -- are we done yet?" I have an image that a minute after this picture was taken they turned her loose and she darted away as fast as her legs could carry her.... dress tails flying, hair bow falling and abandoned. I think that is my motto for the day... maybe for the week, TURN ME LOOSE.
(If I get an extra minute or so today I'll take some closer shots.)

4 comments:

Francie...The Scented Cottage Studio said...

I love the way you arrange and embellish things...I love your use of color and objects. Great job!

Tami Bayer said...

I love a collage with a story, and what a great story! Such an eloquent way to describe how you carry color around. I do that, too.

PAT said...

Very pretty and the story adds so much to the piece. It sounds like your grandmother might have been quite a kid! Do you have lots of stories about her?

Pat
Back Porch Musings

Swamp Tulip said...

You did such a beautiful job with your pencil box project. I jus love that you used a photograph of your grandmother in the project. How special. Thanks for taking the time to alter the pencil box. I still have mine sitting on my work table - naked - waiting patiently for me :)

Teresa