Sunday, May 20, 2007

The Children's Garden cont'd

I can not call this project the Wretched Wreck of a Deck anymore ... all the wretched decking is gone. In fact some of the floor joists were reused to build an arbor... more on that later, though I will say I am astounded anything from the deck was salvagable.

Any good project begins with a proper foundation. The foundation of this garden is the ivy esplanade at the back wall. I've built a harlequin patterned trellis wall. It doesn't extend entirely to the left corner as that area is where the gingerbread house goes.



Because I really hate spending large dollars on a simple nothing sort of project, instead of buying precut lattice strips, I ripped a 2"x3" into half inch strips. There are three 2"x3"s here -- at $1.47 each. Wild and crazy girl that I am, that trellis cost $4.41 plus tax. Total. Had I purchsed real lattice strips the cost would have been $57.60. (Because time equals money, it's worth noting that I cut all the lattice strips in 20 minutes. It would have taken longer than that to drive to Home Depot or Lowe's and back.)

Moving on.

The lattice has been painted, the soil just below the trellis has been ammended and ivy has been planted:



Grow Ivy, grow.

Wee little steps -- the next step is to add a load of soil -- the ground is really a hard, trampled, irregular mess back there. It might be solved with a rototiller -- but I don't have one. For the cost of renting a rototiller I can buy a load of dirt, which I need in other areas anyway

Now, back to the salvaged floor joists of the Wretched Deck Rip Out. An arbor has been built on the other side of the workshop. It has four salvaged posts and five salvaged windows. I've had this project in mind since I bought this house. I didn't know quite where the arbor would go, but I knew what it would look like:





I placed it here, to the left of the garage workshop, to visually balance the Children's Garden, situated in the space to the right of the garage workshop.

There is still so much work to be done. There is a pond to dig, a gingerbread house to build, a sandbox to install, plants to move in.... and this guy is awfully eager to move in and find a home in the new Children's Garden:


Meanwhile ... he'll just reach down there and snag a carrot or two to snack on.

12 comments:

Betty said...

I love that arbor. It would look great in my yard. I love the way you used old windows for it. You are so talented.

Oblique Angles said...

This bright, cheery arbor makes me smile from the inside out. I love the notion of using glass. Yes, yes, I know it's a child's secret garden, but I reckon an adult would love to spend time in this magical space, too. Your imagination and talent take my breath away. I think I might have to retire to my beloved sofa.

Francie...The Scented Cottage Studio said...

Ohhhh Jenny...what a wonderful creation ! I can't believe how much you have gotten done. And Oblique Angles, my apologies to you but that is MY retirement villa. I will, of course, let children visit.....

Fantastic job Jenny.

Swamp Tulip said...

You are AMAZING! I'm with you with not spending a lot of $$ on some projects. You have gone above and beyond! What a great project. You are such an inspiration! Beautiful!

I hope that ivy grows for you!

Teresa

Vallen said...

This is like a fairy tale. I can't wait until we see the prince or princess.

Jean said...

Things are progressing nicely. I really love the arbor! I love old windows and they look great there.

Anonymous said...

AMAZING! You are incredible jenny!! The work you've done...well, it's just awe inspiring. I love love love the windows worked into the arbor. Ingenious I tell you. Oh, and the money saving lattice...and last but not leat, the darling cement bunny...oh, it's going to be a wonderland for sure. I can't wait to see more.

Mary Anne said...

WOW !! I can't believe how much you've gotten finished already!!! You're FAST !!! and VERY CREATIVE -- LOVE the arbor !! Keep posting pictures of the progress ---- I can't tell you how this puts my "garden" to shame!!!

Anonymous said...

ooooooooooooooooh~ I am green with envy!

Angie said...

WOW! you've been one busy woman. Can't wait to see updates.

KT said...

I love the arbor. It's beautiful. Thank you for your comments. The Diana rose is not a climber. Wish I could recommend something, but my rose knowledge is limited.(smiley face)

FrenchGardenHouse said...

wow, your garden is going to be so very wonderful. I love your arbor and your Rabbit, they will both be so charming in your own little "paradise"...I will come back to see what all you will be planting and doing.
Lidy