Wednesday, May 23, 2007

It's All About the Clothes

There are baby clothes and there are Baby Clothes... and I like to think every woman alive knows the difference. If the baby is merely generic -- the brand new baby of your boss's assistant's sister and you've somehow been squeezed onto the Baby Shower Guest List then what you do is drop by a store, any store, on the way to the shower and pick up something. You hope the same store sells those handy gift bags. Had you thought about it, which you didn't, you'd have dug a bag out of the back of a closet.

But if the baby is SPECIAL -- the long awaited infant of your best friend, dearest neighbor or a close co-worker who has saved your bacon a time or two -- then you do one of two things... you go to the best store in town select the most exquisite scrumptious enchanting baby outfit you have ever seen in your entire life, take out a loan and buy it. Or you sew.

I'm not sure sewing for baby holds it's own against a mortgaged romper from Too Suite Enfant Emporium... but it should. Because when I sew for baby, it is a Big Freakin' Deal. There is the selecting of the pattern, the Deciding on Fabric... fabric alone is an event for which I'd like to see gold medal standards. The fabric can not be too tough or too delicate. It can not be infused with fire retardant, spit-up deterrent chemicals. Unless the baby is already here and you know the gender, then the color must be sufficiently androgynous. Next you cut out all the impossibly tiny pieces -- those people who sew doll clothes, Barbie clothes, are clearly deranged. And never mind the pieces being so small -- there are all the sewing notions -- zippers, buttons, snaps... all or any of which are tiny and fiddly and you need to think through this part because that mortgaged gown will start looking really good when you are fussing with a half inch button hole. Yes, yes, there is velcro which is mightily handy and too bad the hook part of this brilliant invention is too scratchy to risk stitching into a baby gown.

This is the one and only time in your life when you will sew French seams. And no matter how careful you are, if you are very lucky, at minimum a half inch of one seam will hang out and there you will have to decide whether to rip it out and begin again or keep right on stitchin' with hope the mother will never notice... hmmmmm.

Sometimes I sew baby clothes because there are things you just can't buy any more. They don't sell kimonos or sacks like they used to and for a brand new baby fresh from a bath and ready for a late snack followed by a diaper change, there's nothing easier on and off and back on again than a kimono. But usually when I sew baby clothes it is the Show Off variety. The clothes with pin tucks and ruching and cut work and embellishments I can't pronounce and have to focus through crossed eyes to actually do.

But when the baby is Special, (not "this will get me a raise" special -- but Dear to My Heart Special, "I will Watch You and Protect You" Special... ) it makes me feel a little special too, to pull out the stops, knowing that I can, knowing that I will.... I like to think also that somewhere in the brain of the child who wears a home sewn gown there is a seed of awareness... something in his head absorbs the fact, Mm, "French seams... nice." And there it is -- THAT's the difference.

9 comments:

Francie...The Scented Cottage Studio said...

Jenny, I think a good title for the third paragraph should be "It's All About the Love" because I'm bettin' you put a lot of that into what you're creating too.
Your GRANDbaby is going to be one very blessed child.

Betty said...

I haven't sewn baby clothes since my daughter was little. She's 23 now. I make quilts instead and I know what you mean about choosing the fabric and making every stitch just right. It's all about adding "love".

Vallen said...

This child to come is going to need a fairy tale of its own, The Adored Grandchild. Ahhhhh what fun.

Angie said...

I also haven't made baby clothes since my daughter was little. Can't imagine doing it now. And I am so with you on doll clothes. Won't catch me making any

Tami Bayer said...

It's so very true. We have an adorable outfit that my husband wore as a baby stitched by his beautiful grandmother. Our son wore it when he was small and we are saving it for our grandchildren. You are stitching family treasures!

Swamp Tulip said...

Jenny - I admire you so much. Your grandbaby will be one lucky little one! I can't sew a button on a shirt or cut fabric in a straight line! I'm sure everything that you create with be as special as the baby that will be donning it! I can't wait to see some of your wares!

Teresa

Oblique Angles said...

Good grief! You sew, too!? Okay, let me get this straight. You are a designer and builder of beautiful, original things, teacher, gardener, crafting guru, writer, power tool maven. And to this, we're soon going to have to add grandmother of your star-spangled grandchild. How in the world are you going to fit all these talents on one little business card? It occurs to me that my business card has plenty of white space.

OldBagNewTricks said...

But, Linda, you far outdistance me in charm and mirth... and what can be better than that?

Oblique Angles said...

Alas, Jenny, mirth and a buck don't even buy a cup of coffee. I swear I'm going to learn something useful. Soon. But right now I'm busy thinking about what books do when we're not reading them. See, that's exactly how my life runs amok!