Thursday, May 10, 2007

I'm Not 25 Anymore...

Perhaps it is obvious I am not 25 any more. Admittedly, there are telltale signs I am not 25 any more... crepe papery eyes, slightly saggy jowls (ever so slightly), a preference for comfy shoes (so long as they are cute) over slick hot high heel shoes, no matter how cute. But if I suck in my belly, lose my cheater readers and wear an outfit that gives the illusion of both a waistline and a bust, from a distance, in the right light, I do look 25.

Not that I want to BE 25, mind you... I would NOT ever again want to BE 25. Being 25 was hard -- I didn't know who I was , where I should go, or what to do. Actually I did -- at 25 I did know who I was (at 5 I knew who I was) -- I just didn't feel confident that it was all right to let her out.

At 25 I was more strong than brave, but I was working on it... at 25 I was a mother and trying pick a path through the maze of un-doing my life as a wife. To stay, to leave... if I left I knew for sure that the person to do the hauling and heavy lifting of my bags and belongings would be me. Fine. I was strong. A tough girl. A capable girl. And so I did. I carried my bags and my boy, I carried my books in a heavy bookbag through four years of college and it sure never occured to me that cutting my own weeds would pose even a question, much less a problem... when I was 25.

But now... now that I am not 25, now that the boy is well grown, the bags are permanently parked, I can easily forget that I am not 25... Time marched on when I wasn't looking, I wasn't aware... till I wield this weed eater for 15 minutes or so and for the rest of the day my arms ache. AChe. Aaaaaaaaack. I am SO NOT 25.

10 comments:

Swamp Tulip said...

Great post. I hear ya - I'm not 25 anymore either and it feels great :)

Vallen said...

For the longest time I thought if I could freeze my life, I'd like to freeze it at 25. Yeah, not so much anymore. Twenty-five was cute without a doubt but I was never so wise as I am now. Lovely post.

Francie...The Scented Cottage Studio said...

...but I happen to know you have the dewey skin of a 25 year old LOLx2.

Sigh, it is a wake up call when you try to do something you so easily did it seems just yesterday and every part of your body (some that you didn't even remember having) screams at you for it.

But HEY, we are so much better now!

Oblique Angles said...

Oh, Jenny, this is such an eloquent, elegant post!

But wait! Here's what I think. We are all 25 but with a perfectly formed personality, wisdom, character and experience! So from now on, we'll just call ourselves 25 plus-ers -- just moving at a more "leisurely" pace. Yes, that's the ticket.

Gretel said...

They do say that youth is wasted on the young...I wish I had the body I had then and the head I have now!

Anonymous said...

Oh, you said it all. Perfectly.

Anonymous said...

Ah yes just yesterday DD 18 had her senior prom. LOL.

I so can truly relate to your post, Jenny. The crepe paper eyes (never heard this before, good discription) and slightly jowled chin. I'm right there with you girl!
Teemie

KT said...

One time someone asked me what my "dream house" would be. I said "One with a housekeeper and a GARDENER." I enjoy your blog, and thanks for the sweet comments.

Katie

Mary Anne said...

HUH ?? You mean we're not 25 ?? --- oh.......... I guess I keep forgetting because I act like I'm 12 (but I'm reminded that I'm not when I first get out of bed in the morning and I'm limping from that old cheerleader injury ! HAH!)

Tami Bayer said...

What an interesting post...my mind feels younger than my body, too. 25 was fun, but 40+ is so much better! I am much more comfortable in my slightly saggy imperfect skin than I was in my young taut skin.