Sunday, May 13, 2007

Is It a Baby Yet?

From the minute my son and daughter-in-law announced the impossible, or rather the unexpected, that they are expecting, I have been impatient for this baby. Frankly they told me too too soon. She wasn't even showing yet... so I have waited all this time... alllllllll thiiiiiiiiiiiisssssss tiiiiiiiiiiiimmmmmmmmmmmmeeeeeeeee. Apparently they don't know, seemingly they are unaware... I am Baby Crazy. I LoVe babies. I LoVe little kids. I even like teenagers.

When my baby was on his way I became Mommy Mame over night. I repurposed furniture, stitched bibs and gowns and blankies. Great, GREAT with child, I laid carpet. I was in nesting overdrive. Once he was here I sang songs, recited poetry, told silly riddles, read stories. There were Halloween costumes, books, balls, bubbles, crayons, paper, scissors, glue. I set up a sand box in our apartment. Are you getting the picture? I'm a warm fuzzy fun mommy about to become a warm fuzzy fun Nana. I thought my own nesting days were done, but last week I built the changing table (refashioned really) -- this week I stitched and dressed this: The wicker is ancient but very sturdy. The fabrics are all new -- the minute I saw this silk plaid I knew instantly that this was the piece I wanted for the bassinet. The rest of the fabrics and trims, the taffeta, chenille, the denim, and lace, were all from my stash. (I have a sinful stash.)

So now all we need is a baby... to love and snuggle and squeeze to pieces. Even this Teddy Bear looks impatient, don't you think? There are five weeks to go... what to build, make, reconfigure next? A Merry-Go-Round? A Gingerbread House? Suggestions anyone?

9 comments:

Jean said...

I know what you mean. I had my first grand last July. They told me after a week! What a long wait but worth every minute of it!

Tami Bayer said...

I can't wait to see what else you design in the next 5 weeks! This is so beautiful...love the combination of all the textures here. I'll bet that silk feels heavenly.

Oblique Angles said...

Oh, Jenny, you have done yourself and Adrian's baby proud. The bassinet is stunning...unique...perfect in every way. This baby is going to be the best furnished kid around.

But what next? A carousel perhaps? A tree house? With your talent and imagination, anything is possible. Add to that a doting, caring, funny, imaginative nana, and that kid is lucky, lucky, lucky!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful, and amazing! You've outdone yourself! Your daughter in law must be beyond thrilled..
Tracey

Francie...The Scented Cottage Studio said...

Oh my, did not think it possible that it would be even better than I imagined but it is!!! What a blessed baby to have Nana Mame for it's very own.
You should do a baby countdown diary...that would be a treasure to have!

Betty said...

Ohhhh...you said like a "mommy" like me. I love, love, love children...all ages...I love the little ones and the teenagers and the in betweeners too. I can't wait to be a grandma. My daughter is only 23 and she is making me wait.

Betty said...

yikes...that "sound" not "said"...LOL

Vallen said...

Oh, the places you'll go dear Nana, there are no words to describe the joys of being a grandma.

Anonymous said...

NANA! How cool is that!!

You did such a wonderful job on the bassinett. Beautiful I love the colors.

I'm so excited for you! God Bless!

Teemie