Monday, May 7, 2007

Inexplicable

Here's the whole story as to why my then boyfriend's objections were so inappropriate at the restaurant when I first mentioned to him this changing table project.... Oh, where does one begin?

OK, you know those people whose first response to anything, ANYTHING, is "OMG, what an impossible idea! It simply can not be done!" So there we were in a nice Italian restaurant, a little salad, a little wine, flitting from topic to topic, here comes the chicken marsala, a little more bread would be great.... I mention that I want to make a changing table, out of those drawers Adrian has.

You would have thought I had suggested tearing the roof off my own house after dinner. Or hiring myself out to be a stripper... no, that, at least, would have entirely shut his mouth. The point is, his response was ... well, strange. "A changing table -- what are you thinking, making a changing table? How is THAT going to work?" The then boyfriend began to explain not only how impossible this project would be, but as soon as he realized how ridiculous he sounded, rather than backing down and exploring the possibilities, he cranked the objections up a notch. In graphic detail. "OMG, do you know what babies do?" Considering mine is ten years older than his... yeah, I had a clue. But he had to be sure -- he had to make certain everyone knew -- everyone within the six tables surrounding us soon knew what babies do. "They POOP. And they PEE!!!"

He got all worked up, almost panic-stricken, at the notion of my taking a set of nothing drawers and re-purposing them into a changing table. I will bet there are people who were dining near us that night still shaking their heads over this overheard dinner conversation.

So, there we are, the whole story of how discussing this project in a restaurant was such a bad idea. Canoli, anyone?

5 comments:

Oblique Angles said...

Well, I hope the THEN boyfriend has had the opportunity to see how you transformed those drawers into that magical work of art. After he gets his foot out of his mouth, I wonder if he'd like his piece of humble pie heated and ala mode.

Tami Bayer said...

That changing table is amazing. What is a visionary like you doing having dinner with a dolt? So glad he is a then boyfriend. You have such an eye for detail. Those chenille handles are so clever.

Debi Ward Kennedy said...

He forgot that they BARF, too.

Sheesh!

(((Do I hear echoes in his words of a deep, horrifying fear that maybe you were considering having another baby - just because you brought up 'changing table'????)))

Arrivaderci, suckah......

Francie...The Scented Cottage Studio said...

Ohhhh Tami hit it on the head (the dolt's head that is)...sorry. But my goodness woman, the things that you can and do create are amazing! I think I might sense a very threatened male there...for I do believe that the very idea of a changing table is so THAT is where they will do those umm..things .... instead of on your sofa or bed. geeeesh.

Vallen said...

You know men who don't support even the strange ideas of women (not that yours was in any way strange), need to go back to the factory for a recall. Do I need to make a Queenly mandate or something?