Saturday, May 26, 2007

Sweet Little Rose o'Mine

It occurs to me that I learned about growing roses exactly the way I learn most things -- I fell face forward into them and got stuck a few times. *sigh* Sometimes things just don't come easily... junior high, boys, high heels, mothers-in-law... Roses fall into that category -- things that might be nice, once you wend your way through the tricky bits.



I'd always heard roses are hard to grow -- that there are powders and feeding schedules. I'd heard there is a precise and singular pruning method. I'd heard about aphids and powdery mildew and ... and... oh, the New Dawn Roses are divine... but what sold me was not their delicate pink color, although it is lovely. And it wasn't the tightly packed come-hither blossoms, which beckon me nearer and nearer. "Come closer," they say. "Aren't we lovely -- aren't we a thing out of a faerie tale? Don't you think we are perfect?"


No, not the color, nor the shape, which is nicer than nice... what it was was ...the scent... the scent of a New Dawn Rose is as delicate as a whisper. As I pass by it makes me turn my head, an aromatic double-take, did I smell that? Am I sure? Another whiff.... ahhhhhhhhhhhhh

And so, despite the thorns and the scary care tactics and a frightful article on pruning... I followed my nose, bought this rose anyway and ... and... it grew. And blossomed. It cascades over a fence and looks like something Alice might encounter in Wonderland... it smells like the blush of First Love ... I have never fed, pruned or powdered it (unless you count my tossing an over-ripe banana at it's feet as feeding) and it reminds me that even when I am scared... Do It Anyway -- the worst that can happen is Something Wonderful! Good advice, coming from a Rose. Go out and do something scary.

6 comments:

Francie...The Scented Cottage Studio said...

ohhhh, it is beautiful I was dreaming about roses this morning...

As usual you manage to give us all a good lesson in life too along with your humor and wit.

Oblique Angles said...

Jenny, what a gorgeous, delicate faerie garden rose your New Dawn is! As you know, my gardening skills are in a category way below Beginner, so I think a rose would be just too, too scary. Scary is one thing; too, too scary is quite another matter. Right now, I'm only on geraniums, day lillies and my wonderful, sweet violas. I fear Farmer Brown would be beside himself with worry and anxiety if a rose were entrusted to his care. But thank you so much for sharing New Dawn with us. She is breath-taking.

Betty said...

That's a beautiful rose. I'm writing the name down so I can go look for one. I can't believe you've never pruned it or anything.

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Hi, Jenny....I love your roses! I've heard good things about New Dawn too & may have to try one sometime. I am scared of roses too & have only planted Knockout Roses because of that fear...just like you said. New Dawn is on my list now!

Rhoda

Tami Bayer said...

Your description of it is so wonderful that I thinkk I caught a whiff of your rose. I miss my rose garden. Where I live now it's almost impossible to grow them, but I do sniff every rose bush I pass. It's always the smell that draws me to them.

Anita said...

Hi Jenny!

Thank you very much for stopping by my blog, leaving such a nice comment on my garden and even linking me on your favourites! I feel honoured!

Oh my, I ADORE your New Dawn roses and enjoyed reading what you wrote about them.

So you might have learned from my recent posts that I am an absolute newcomer with regards to roses (except for the wild ones). I planted my very first (bare-rooted)New Dawn roses in March 07 and guess what: I discovered the first buds this week-end! So there is a high chance that I will be able to admire the first blossoms soon! I can't wait!

Looking forward to welcoming you on my blog!

Viele Grüße aus Deutschland!
Anita