Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Another Project ... I soooooo Need one of those


I couldn't help myself -- you know that voice inside your head that shrieks, "STOP -- THRIFT STORE!!!" I was on my way home from two house cleans and a Senior Art Party -- in other words, Pooped. But the thrift store in question seemed, at a glance, to be on the seedy, disreputable side. My favorite kind. It was in a bad part of town, in an old building with new carpet, pinatas and old bicycles lining the sidewalk. The grubbier the store the better I like it. Somewhere in the back of my mind believes that in this type of run down establishment is where grand treasure hides. Or there's an overflowing button box in there with my name on it. Or it could be a vinatge cape with my name on it. Or a stack of old postcards and photographs with my name on it. There is a lot of stuff that could have my name on it. I can't possibly retrieve my treasures if I am not willing to park my car and walk in the door.

And there they were. Looky. Legs!!!! I got me some legs . They are perfectly balanced and stand there all by themselves. I think once upon a time they were the dramatic front legs of a tattered brocade fainting couch abandoned in a confiscated brothel... Look, they are my legs, it is my story. I absolutely had to have them. they are walnut and I do not need another project in this life time... but I will make room for these legs.
I'm just going to gaze at them for a while. Ain't we got fun. Ta-ta.

6 comments:

Vallen said...

Oh, the possibilities!!!

Oblique Angles said...

When I first looked at the photo, I didn't have my glasses on. And my very first thought -- and I'm not proud of it! -- is that Jenny got herself a pair of dinosaur gams. That's honestly what I thought! I then put my glasses on and saw what a treasure you got yourself. Exquisite! On closer inspection, with my sight restored to 20/20, it is obvious they are indeed the front legs of a brocaded fainting couch abandoned in a confiscated brothel. (NOTE TO SELF: Always wear glasses as it could be embarrassing to mistake the legs of a fainting couch for T. Rex legs.)

Francie...The Scented Cottage Studio said...

ahhh, a very good find! ...and I agree, the grubbier the store the bettah.

A Cottage Industry said...

Wow! Whatcha gonna do with 'em???? Share the finished product please!!

Mrs. Jones said...

That voice calls me too, and I always end up with another project on the list. Who could resist those legs, though? I surely couldn't!

Tami Bayer said...

Fantastic legs...can't wait to see what they adorn.