Monday, October 22, 2007

What with the rain and all...

See what happens when the skies open up and the rains come crashing down, endlessly.
First you start fooling with ribbons... then buttons... a little filigree here, a bead there.


The background ribbons for these bracelets started out life as vinatge seam binding. Well, it didn't start as vinatge. Once upon a time it was new and pedestrian as chicken soup. But now it is old and wonderful. Who binds seams anymore? As it turns out it makes very nice bracelets. I inherited this from my boyfriend's late mother. Actually it was bestowed upon me, by reason of my being the only "girl in the family". Silly boys assumed I would use it to sew.



No... I'm just using it to fool around. Then, as often happens, one thing leads to another... first it's seam binding bracelets, then it is button and bell brooches. Aren't they cute? I likes to jingle.


Clearly, I am way too easily amused.

Oh, and before I forget -- I was tagged. Betty at She'sSewPretty hit me up for 7 random things about me... (I thought everything about me was fairly random...

1. As an infant I used to regularly escape from my playpen. It was one of those wooden jobs -- I would pull back the pad, stick my find in the hole, lift up and crawl under. I'm sure I had no place particular to go -- I did it simply because I could.

2. I am not remotely competitive. I don't care who wins or loses, so long as we have a good time playing the game. Once I came in first place in a diving contest over a girl who was previously known to always win. She was devastated and I did not feel much better -- for me winning is not what it is all about.

3. I hate 3/4 length sleeves -- when I wear one, and I don't, all I can think about is how these sleeves are cheesy and too short or not short enough and they need more material.... or material needs to be cut off and if the meeting has gathered do start without me because I'll be over here in the corner fussing over my sleeves, ya see.

4. I built my first bench when I was four.

5. One of these days I want to just up and buy an airline ticket, fly to New York City for the day, see WICKED and fly back home. Ok, once I'm there I'll want to stay several days, a month even, but I can't get more than a day off to save my life, so one day and WICKED will do me.

6. Speaking of New York, when I was in 8 grade I had a brave junior high history teacher who took 70 7th and 8th graders on a long Easter weekend trip to Washington D.C. Baltimore, Philly and New York City. I still remember parts of this trip vividly.

7. I'm so dyslexic that it is not funny... actually it is, frequently.

As for who to tag who has not already been tagged... I don;t know anybody who has not already been tagged... twice... so I am going to start a new one... The New Jenny Tag is to name your favorite dish to prepare and write out it's recipe (give us a little history about why you like it or where you got it) And I am tagging: Francie of Cottage Scents, Vallen of Queenly Things and Sharon of C'est Chouette.

Tis the season -- it's all about the food.

7 comments:

Mary Anne said...

Hi Jenny!Ooohhhh ! those bracelets and brooches are cute, cute, cute !!! Very creative !!

Francie...The Scented Cottage Studio said...

Very clever and very creative...I'm at the Cottage all day so won't have time to do the recipe today.
hmmmmm...recipe...in our house if
"it doesn't go "ding" we don't eat it" LOLx2

Felicia said...

Adorable button jewelry :)

kari and kijsa said...

Love at first sight is what we are talking about here-with what you ask? Your blog, the bracelets, your fabulous ideas- love it!!!

blessings,
kari & kijsa

Vallen said...

I love the button jewelry but of course. i will give up my recipe this week.

Betty said...

Oh!! I want to go see Wicked too! Did you read the book? I think it is coming to LA or San Francisco.
I love what you did with the seam binding. I'm going to have to try something like that when I am not doing my other one thousand projects....

PAT said...

Jenny these bracelets are so cute! I love them!

Pat