Friday, October 26, 2007

Sometimes it's the Big Things

Let me explain... See that great big thing there...



Yes, that, it's a great big radiator cover trying, unsuccessfully to hide a great big radiator. I don't know who installed it in front of the window like that... but I would lay even odds his wife wasn't home at the time. I can readily hear the conversation when she first laid eyes on this monster in the window... "Excuse me ... what were you thinking? Were you thinking that a radiator is a fine accompaniment to drapieries? Or were you simply thinking I would not notice? And I suppose you are now going to tell me it cannot be moved or removed? Is that what you are going to tell me?"

I want to go find her -- I want to look her up at the local cemetery and whisper into her grave, "Looky, here, Sweetie, That big ol' boat of a thing is GONE. " (Cause you know she went from this life to the next ticked as all get out over that hideous big monster radiator.)


She'd heave a sigh so deep the earth would rumble.

That radiator has been under my skin since the day I bought this house... but it's gone, gone, gone now.

Next, paint, new drapes (real drapes -- ones that can actually hang right) new carpet, new upholstery... I might even spring for a new lamp.... Those oil lamps might have to find someplace else to live.

What I did, in terms of heat, was have baseboard radiators installed. It's no taller than the baseboard and unless you are looking for it you don;t even know it's there.

Oh, I am now the happiest woman alive -- sometimes it isn't just the little things -- sometimes it is the Big Things too.

I'm going to go pirouette in glee now. Twirling, leaping... yep, I am the happiest woman alive.

8 comments:

Francie...The Scented Cottage Studio said...

LOL...twirl away Girl !!! I remember when we moved out the last of the gas heaters...I was as excited as you are now.
Can't wait to see what yo do next.

(())

Jean said...

How exciting! I can't wait to see what you do! Sounds like a great project!

Anonymous said...

LOL...funny post and I am so glad you are happy now. Guys just don't get it do they? Hope you post some after photos for us. ~ Lynn

Betty said...

You are so right! No woman would have ever approved of that radiator placement. You'll have to show us the finished project.

Tami Bayer said...

It looks like a whole new room. Love the picture of you whispering to the poor woman who used to live there. I always feel like I'm there in your beautiful writings.

Vallen said...

There should be a coffee table book with big old photos that show all the wonderful make-do projects people have done to "improve" there homes. That radiator cover could be on the cover.

maggiegracecreates said...

I love this post - too funny - I love the image of you whispering to the former owner - may she rest in peace.

We refer to Ms. Myrt when we do anything to our house. We bought it right after she passed away in the house and we swear she haunts us when we do anything to the house.

Have a great day.

Anonymous said...

I'm dancing with you JennyGirl~ I have too many time had to make drapes with radiator cut-outs~ mmmmmmmmmm~ maybe that is why I gave up custom drapery!