Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Treasures

Never in my life have I owned real silver. Till now.

And to be fair, this isn't "real" silver. It's plate. What connoisseurs of fine things sniff at. But this is my family silver. I'm not sure what happened to the everyday stuff. This is what we set the table with for Christmases and Thanksgivings, Big Deal Birthdays, Engagement announcements.



I didn't so much "inherit" this from my mother, rather I acquired it by default. We went around the room, "Do you want this? Do you want this? Do you want this?" We did this about everything -- from silver to blankets, holiday decorations to sweaters. It was very quick; we're a decisive lot. I got the silver because nobody else wanted it. I guess my brother and sister already have silverware. And now, so do I.

But something was missing. A knife and a fork. The set was incomplete -- I felt I'd failed to look after the family silverware from the minute I got it ... 5, 6, 7, 5, 6, 7... there should be 8. 8 little spoons, 8 salad forks, 8 dinner forks, 8 knives... Why don't soup spoons ever go missing? There were 8 soup spoons, but only 7 forks, 7 knives.

It bugged me that two pieces were missing. Thank goodness for the internet. Thank goodness for Replacements. Have you ever been there? I love Replacements.com. For one thing I LOVE china. But they deal in crystal and silver too. Even if you don't know the pattern name of the piece you are looking for, send in a photo and they will identify it for you. How cool is that?

As it happens I do know the name of my silver, so I looked it up, placed an order, -- 1 knife, 1 fork. There was even a choice between pristine perfect ones or ones with "flaws", "mars," and "imperfections". Wait, mine are 60 years old -- this was my mother's wedding silver. It's been banged around quite a bit. I opted for "flawed" silver.

And looky -- it's here. I still don't see any flaws. It's lovely. My family silver is once again a whole set.

Just in time to set the Thanksgiving table... I better practice -- I've never set my own table with good silver. I wonder if my son and his wife will like it... I can tell them the story about the missing knife and fork. They can tell their son... after all, it isn't the silver that's the family treasure, it's the stories... always the stories.

Gut Apetit.

7 comments:

Francie...The Scented Cottage Studio said...

How wonderful to have the silver and the stories ! It's a beautiful set too...
I love your stories.

(())

Vallen said...

It is indeed the story. I'm sure you were the right persn to get the silver.

KT said...

The fact that the silver was your mother's wedding silver makes it so special. Personally, I have no problem with silver-plate. I have found some really charming pieces in silver-plate.
What a nice looking Thanksgiving table you will have.
Katie

FrenchGardenHouse said...

How wonderful to have your mother's silver. And no one is turning their nose up. at all. it's a lovely set, all the more beautiful because it was part of your family for so long.

I know you will enjoy using it for many holidays to come.:)
Lidy

Tami Bayer said...

That is a lovely story and a beautiful place setting. Such a beautiful way to include your mom in all the upcoming festivities. Her silver will be there nourishing all of you.

Betty said...

I have silver. Sometimes I think it is a shame that it only comes out twice a year. Maybe we should use ours more. Have silver dinner parties. Eat a burger with your silver fork!

PAT said...

Jenny, I love the stories and the silver. I'm looking forward to seeing your Thanksgiving table!

Pat