Saturday, October 20, 2007

From Little Acorns...

Oops... that should be, "From Little Peach Pits"...

This little tree is planted in the Children's Garden, pretty much all alone. The drought this summer was so horrific that rather than nurse half dead things along endlessly, I opted to wait till next spring, when this dry spell will be a distant memory and all the nursery plants are fresh and hopeful.

But this little guy was at Home Depot , on clearance, where he'd soldiered on despite a plastic pot and drought conditions and substandard care. His leaves are limp but clinging. If he had that much life in him the least I could do is give him a place to be and a hope in hell of making something of himself. That's all any of us want anyway, really.

It's a very small area, not large enough for a huge tree and my intention is for everything planted here in the Children's Garden to be very child enticing: good things to eat, smell, touch and see. My plan for this little peach tree, the reason I wanted a small one to begin with, is to train him to the wall, so he stands straight and strong. It's called "espalier". He'll require some discipline and some training, but I think he's up to it. And I think I am up to the extra care required, the good things to eat he'll need.

Maybe it's just me, a mother's puffed up pride, but I'm thinking he's going to Do Great Things. Don't you think?

4 comments:

Francie...The Scented Cottage Studio said...

awww...what a sweet little tree...and how lucky it got such a good home with someone to love him...

(())

Vallen said...

Oh it will look like a royal garden all arms stretching out and up. What a lovely plan.

Betty said...

Jenny, I'm sure with your loving care you'll have a bushel of peaches before you know it.
I also tagged you today. Go see!

Anonymous said...

Some day that little tree will proudly give you peach cobbler because you were so good to it. :)