Monday, April 30, 2007

Wretched Wreck of a Summer Challenge

I am entirely ashamed to post this photo -- but this is where it began. Actually, this is the middle. Where this mess began was as a rotting deck with floor joists so wide, 4', that walking from the front to the back of this thing felt like traversing a fun house floor.

Sometimes it is hard to figure what to do first. In this case, the garage roof needed replacing. There were trees that HAD to go, the fence was falling down and this deck was a wreck..... what to do, what to do? As it was necessary, I did replace the garage roof two years ago so I could have my workshop -- sawing lumber in the dining room is not the ideal situation one might think. Then as luck would have it a big storm brought a tree down upon the fence and I ended up with a two-for-one special. But it was unexpected and I am really more of a "plan for it" kind of girl.
So, here I am, half the rotting deck is ripped up. And this is my Wretched Wreck Summer Challenge: to make a silk purse outta this sow's ear. Much as I could cry, and I welcome you to sit down and cry with me, I plan to do a little something on this mess every week. Every Monday I'll share pictures. Let's see how soon we get it all cleaned up, shiny new. Woo, better get busy.

1 comment:

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Jenny, looks like a big project, but I know you'll come up with something good for that spot. It's so hard when things seem overwhelming, but hang in there. It will look great in the end.

I was looking at your lunch from a post back & it looks a lot like the lunches I fix for me and my hubby. Healthy & delicious! We're trying to stay on that track most days. Of course, it doesn't help when I make cheesecake, like this weekend.

Rhoda
Southern Hospitality