Monday, April 23, 2007

A Wee Piece of Art for Art's Sake



Not so long ago I hadn't even heard of ATC's (Artist Trading Cards). From the first one I saw I was delighted and couldn't get enough. In fact I found a site that featured page after page of dozens and dozens of wee little ATC's. They were wonderful, remarkable, enchanting. I gobbled them up.

If you've never heard of them either, ATC's are tiny pieces of art, about the size of a business card, created for art's sake. ATC's can be stamped, embossed, collaged or flocked.... (oh wait, an ocean just flooded into my head to flock then stamp.... ok, I'm back).

Because they are so tiny there is very little commitment involved. A person can create an ATC within a scant few minutes (or fiddle with it most of the afternoon and into the next day too, I suppose). A little of this, a piece of that. But, I found myself oddly afraid. "What if...?" Yet, there was no ending to that question. "What if what?" That was my "ah ha" moment. "What if it's ugly? What if it's stupid? What if I hate it? What if it hates me?" So I didn't create any ATC's of my own, rather I adored those made by others, from afar.

Then that really smart, creative, gutsy Vallen over at Queenly Things organized an ATC swap. Before I knew what I was doing, which is my want, I jumped in. "Me too, me too, include me." And there I was... committed... though still facing those hard "what if" questions. Well, what if? What if it IS ugly? What if I DO hate it? What if it DOES hate me? Well, if so, then I have spent only a scant few minutes and a mere 2 1/2" x 3" of space on something that may or may not work out. It's only a wee piece of art -- I can risk that.

And I think this is my new motto: It's only a wee piece of art -- I can RISK that.
(Vallen's only ATC requirement was that the card be "frameable" -- because ATC's are so tiny they are frequently hidden away. So I made the card AND the frame, which is really a scrap of lumber with ribbon holes drilled in. The card is held onto the "frame" with straps of elastic. Also, that Tyrolian totsy executing her best curtsey is my grandmother, taken about the same time women got the right to vote -- I use her photos quite a lot. I like the idea of my little ATC hanging on a wall or a cabinet door somewhere. Everybody curtsey now.)

4 comments:

Oblique Angles said...

Oh my! If your blog doesn't look spiffy! How did you do this? Did you have assistance? Did you do this on your own? I am SO impressed -- and also pea-green with envy, you clever bunny you!

And until this very moment, I had never heard of an ATC! I would have guessed that ATC stood for something like All Terrain Chryslers or maybe Acrobatic Tasmanian Camels. As it turns out, they are wee and adorable. That's a winning combination!

Francie...The Scented Cottage Studio said...

Well, ahem, I did not clamor to get into the ATC swap because I am overwhelmed at the moment...but gee that doesn't mean you couldn't have made me one. HINT. I did get a really really wonderful one from the Queen and would love to have another to add...subtle hint.

Vallen said...

I think you better keep up the terrific work, it sounds as though Francie might need an ATC. I think the fact that they are so without guidelines makes them a little daunting but you seem to have gotten it down. Congrats dear one.

Betty said...

Oh...I've been looking at all the ATC's also...but, I am afraid to try one. Afraid it would be one mroe addiction. LOL I like the one you made...very much!