Wednesday, July 18, 2007

What's Your Sign?

Of late I am all at sixes and sevens -- though I haven't the first notion what that means... I know it means disoriented and discombobulated. I just don't know where the expression, "Sixes and Sevens" came from. Unless it came from the multiplication tables -- I have never been able to do sixes or sevens with any reliability.

What has me all at sixes and sevens is that I have projects ongoing, but nothing very nearly complete.


Outside I am awaiting an electrical line for the Froggy Pond Pump. I have the pump. I have the fountain (oh, boy this is one really cute china fountain) ... but I can't show it till it is installed and I can't install it till the electric is in. (heavy sigh)

Upstairs, my infamous, "By Noon Tomorrow" art room move from the dining room to the second bedroom is coming along swimmingly -- but, BUT -- there is always a but, what I need are two bookcases. The walls up there are slanty. They're called "hip-walls" or "knee-walls" depending on where they angle up. So I can't hang shelves. And every art room is overrun with bits and pieces of this and that that should have homes and a shelf makes a lovely home for such things. No walls equals no shelves. What I need are bookcases, low ones, that will double as a work surface.

Yes, yes, I CAN build them.... soon as I get one little minute. I'm thinking over the weekend will be fine.

Meanwhile, the onliest little thing I have accomplished this week is that small but essential sign. "Please Be Sure to Close the Refrigerator Door."

I made it for a doctor's office -- for her office staff. They were leaving the little office refrigerator door ajar to where after a short time the little freezer in the little refrigerator was one frozen block of ice.

She wanted to scream... she wanted to kick things. She may have even wanted to smack people upside the head... but we can't as a safe and sane society do that anymore... (too bad)

Instead of screaming or smacking she had me make this sign. It is gentle. It is tender. It wiggles and flitters and is very pretty. It is also to the point. And when I see it I am reminded to calm down, take a deep breath and not scream or smack, not to lose my little mind... in a calm and gentle way, in a dear and favorable time, my things will get done, my electric will get installed, my bookcases will get built... and if not I'll go back to the drawing board and make a new sign.

7 comments:

PAT said...

I've been thinking about moving my office to the studio...which was built over the garage with those knee walls. I'd love to make a library out of that room. Short shelves, though.

I need to make one of those dandy little signs to hang at the condo. Workers were there last week and didn't turn the water off, when they left. That's the main water valve in the utility closet. We always leave it off...just in case...horrors...A LEAK!!

Pat

Swamp Tulip said...

I've never heard of being all at sixes and sevens but darn that must be my problem too! I have lots of unfinished projects myself and it just gets me working in circles - never feeling like I am accomplishing a darn thing! Ugh!

I hope you get your electricity and your book shelves soon.

I love your sign and I bet it will work its intended purpose just fine.

Teresa

Francie...The Scented Cottage Studio said...

My daddy used to use that phrase a lot...(I think it comes from Chaucer and I know the Brits use it to mean in a state of confusion) and he would say "six of one,half dozen of the other" when you had to make a choice :)
The sign is sooo sweet, I hope they appreciate it instead of the knock in the head they should get LOLx2

Jean said...

Don't you just hate it when you have to wait for someone else to finisha project? I just saw a low corner bookshelf at a sale that would have been perfect! Good luck with all the projects!

KT said...

I empathize completely. I am waiting for shelves to be built in my sewing room. I have piles all over the house that are also waiting for those shelves.

Can't wait to see that fountain!

Hang in there,
Kaite

Anonymous said...

soooooooooooooo ~ I am wondering if a being can be discombobulated? can a being ever be re-combobulated? I love the little 'gentle reminder'~luv~S

Mary Anne said...

How are the projects going? I know -- patience ---- deep breath!!! a little yoga, a little chocolate, a little walk -- a better state of mind...........

Anyhow, the sign is CUTE, CUTE, CUTE !!