Monday, July 30, 2007

A Room of One's Own

I've been gone most of the week for a very good reason... What I have been using as an art room for entirely too long is meant to be the dining room. It was inadequate and cramped and not set up right.... It seemed like a good idea at the time -- but I could never keep it tidy nor could it be used for dining... And sooooo, I hatched a plan: make the second bedroom serve as a proper art room...


As you can see the walls are slanted, precluding the use of full size bookcases or installing permanent shelving for storage... Also, I very much need a work surface. My solution was to build two identical bookcases, back-to-back at 37" tall to double as storage and work station.

And so they are...

This is a closer look at the front...
And a closer look at the back...
It is the nicest space... I LOVE being in there.... I love that there is a place for everything. I love that it is cozy and inviting.

Yes, this is what I wanted all along ~a room of my own.

14 comments:

Francie...The Scented Cottage Studio said...

YEA! Every woman should have a room of her very own...and yours is very nice. In fact it is totally beeyouteeful!!! Now pretty please come to my house and fix mine for me.....(( ))

maggiegracecreates said...

Loving this - All so neat and tidy. I am looking forward to the finish work on mine so that I can put it all away nicely. Enjoy -

Jean said...

I knew your room would be great! Now we'll get to see all that creating that'll be goin' on!

Tami Bayer said...

It is a lovely room of your own. Enjoy your beautiful creative space.

Betty said...

I love your work room. One of these days I will have one. My stuff is spread all over the place lately. If it wasn't so hot I would make a studio in the garage. Lucky you!

Gretel said...

This looks wonderful, it is very inviting and sooo tidy! Just like a dream room.

PAT said...

This looks great! Thanks so much for showing what can be done with these types of walls!

Pat

KT said...

What a great job you did! It is definitely cozy and inviting. I hope you will be blessed with oodles of time and inspiration for crafting.
Katie

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Jenny, I just love your little room. Every girl should have a space of her own, I agree. Looks like a fun place to work & hang out by yourself.

Rhoda

Anne said...

I've just found your blog. I so love the name. And I even more love the way you write. Charming. Whimsical. Just plain darn fun.
I recently got a room of my own too after waiting lo! these many years (how the heck is that expression really written anyway?). I love every square inch of it and revel in knowing it's mine. ALL mine.
OK 'nuf of that. I'm going back to read some more. Thanks for sharing your lovely self with us.

Angie said...

And what a beautiful room it is! So glad you finally have your own space. I know you will have many enjoyable hours there.

Anonymous said...

Oh Jenny. One word.
Perfect. Your room is fabulous! I would want to just sit in there and take in all the organization,and cuteness of it all. And the back to back bookcases...well, that was pure genius.
Do we get to see the dining room next? I can't wait!!!
Tracey

Vallen said...

You are just the most! I love that you have a space and isn't having somewhere you want to go so important?

Anonymous said...

Jenny, what a gem of a little room! It's perfect! I once had such a room.....one day again, perhaps.... when boys are grown and gym equipment finds a new home. Until then, I wait, making do, and dreaming. :)