Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Sum Total

Of course these few things are not the sum total of my mother's life... but I see any of them, individually or as a group and instantly my mother springs to mind. The picture in the back is of her mother, my grandma, as a child. I use this image a lot A LOT in my artful collages. The china shoe is from my grandma's collection, dispersed and dispensed with in 1968. It is all that remains.The chicken trophy was won by her dad, my grandpa. He won lots of chicken trophies, oddly enough. The Hummel, the doll in the green dress and the pearls all belonged to my mother. She especially liked pretty things. I have lots of her pretty things... a ring, nice wine goblets, now the pearls...

And yet the thing that most reminds me of my mom is this ugly pitiful doll. I have held onto and protected this ugly doll most of my life... since I was ten or so. My mother made her when she was seven. This pitiful doll doesn't even have a name, though I have taken to calling her Ruth, my mother's middle name. I have long been amazed that a seven-year-old could make such a thing, shape the wire armature body, wrap it 'round with muslin strips, puff out the body, stitch on a head. Mom made the clothes... all from scraps, leftover bits of nothing,

The hair is fringe from her mother's bedspread. Mom, at age 7, snipped it from the very most visible center of her mother's bedspread and got into terrible trouble for the deed. "I got beat for that," she said. I do not doubt for one minute that my grandmother, enraged, certainly did beat her for cutting a snippet of fringe from a perfectly good bedspread. But my grandmother is long gone. The bedspread is gone. And now, too, my mother is gone. Only this doll, this pitiful ugly doll, remains. My mother died Sunday and all I have of her are these trinkets, among them this doll and the knowing that her hands made something out of nothing.... that's it... the sum total of a life. Something out of nothing, which is enough really... In fact it is everything.

11 comments:

KT said...

So sorry to hear the sad news. This post touched me to tears. The ugly doll is beautiful. Thanks for sharing this.
Bless you,
Katie

Betty said...

Oh Jenny. May memories of your mom comfort you. I would treasure that doll too. Bless you, my friend.

PAT said...

Oh Jenny, I am so sorry to hear of the loss of your mother. The doll is a wonderful reminder of her. She must have been a spirited child, as well!

My granddad won chicken ribbons at the fair.

My thoughts are with you!

Pat

Vallen said...

It will never be BIG BEAUTIFUL things that define a life - always the smaller ones.

Francie...The Scented Cottage Studio said...

Dear Jenny, there really is more left of her life and it shines on in you and your son and in sweet Kai.
I know you will treasure your memories along with the special things you have kept.

(( ))

Jean said...

So sorry to hear about your Mother.I love the little doll. Just remember, you don't need stuff when you have memories! You will see, hear or smell something, somewhere and a great memory will warm your heart.

Tami Bayer said...

Bless your heart. I am so very sorry for your tremendous loss. I hope this ugly little doll brings you some comfort at such a very sad time. Sending you hugs.

Those little things are of some comfort. I use my aunt's spice rack every time I cook. I feel her cooking with me sometimes. It seems her recipes always turn out at my house.

Debi Ward Kennedy said...

Jen, dear heart, your mother fashioned something much more endearing, valuable, and beautiful than that doll....she created YOU. And we are all so blessed by that! Her creative spirit lives on through the artwork produced by your hands, her kindness and generosity and love of beauty is fulfilled in the way you live your life. And now, you can pass those gifts on to your sweet grandson.

My thoughts are with you...

Angie said...

Jenny, I'm so sorry about the loss of your mom. But I'm so happy you have something so precious to remember her by. Take care of yourself.

Angie

maggiegracecreates said...

Jenny - I am so sorry to hear about your mom. Hugs and prayers. teresa

Anonymous said...

Ah, Jenny...Your Mom was here...she laughed, she loved...she loved you...and we do, too. Thinking of you. Thank you for sharing that doll. I love hand-crafted dolls. There is always something about them that tugs at one's heart. There is nothing at all simple about that little doll. Nothing.