Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Ushering in Autumn


I can't say where summer went, but this week my Senior Art Party project will usher in autumn. I'm a big fan of treasure boxes in all shapes and sizes. For my group I did in fact get wooden boxes in all different shapes and sizes. Square, round, oval, sectagonal. Some have hinged lids while others have lift off lids. I thought the little clasp on the hinged lids might be hard for the ones with arthritus. It's no fun having a treasure box if you can't open it to take a peek at your treasure. Add an autumnal floral arrangement on top and what's not to like? The colors will set the tone and I'm hoping to engage them in a discussion of what they'll keep in their treasure box. Maybe they'll squirrel away a treasure, like a key to an old long-gone car. Or snippets of silk and lace that remain from a wedding dress.

If you had a treasure box just for you, what would you hide inside?

8 comments:

maggiegracecreates said...

The positive beauty I find in every day - I keep those in the treasure box of my heart. My real treasure box items are a sad looking lot of things. a rusty knife - old spark plugs - the name patch off a shirt. A lock of each childs hair the collar of a dog long gone. etc.

Francie...The Scented Cottage Studio said...

Those will be beautiful...and what fun to create!
I think I would put a photo of my Big Mama and the necklace she gave me ...something special for a special treasure box.

(( ))

PAT said...

You know, I am a lot like my Mother when it comes to saving receipts...absolutely worthless receipts...that's probably what I would find in my treasure box. I found this shared penchant for receipts when my sister and I were packing up her room, after her death. I seem to remember we sent a few of those receipts with her.

I don't know why those treasure boxes reminded me of that...it was a pleasant thought. Thank you!

Pat

FrenchGardenHouse said...

What a fun blog you have! I would put my collection of antique Children's Photos in my box.

I know that the ladies will love making these...a sweet idea!
Lidy

Betty said...

I have a few treasure boxes. One holds the cards and letters my children have given me. Another one holds hankies and vintage collars.

Unknown said...

Love it! the colors are so nice and warm- I LOVE Fall, it's my favorite season. Pumpkin bread, cocoa, leaves falling, colors changing, cool breezes- ahhhh I love it!

Angie said...

I would keep some of my military mementos in it. Right now they are everywhere and hard to keep track of.

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Hi, Jennie! Treasure boxes are pretty..I love all sorts of boxes myself & am always drawn to them.

Rhoda