Wednesday, August 15, 2007

The Dazzling Dirty Dish Fountain


After weeks of fiddling and fooling and deconstruction and digging deep and waiting for electric and cleaning out mud, finally, tah-da, the Magical Froggy Pond with it's Dazzling Dish Fountain is finished:



The very second I turned on the pump and the water cascaded over the stack of dishes and spilled into the pond just the way it is supposed to my heart swelled with pride and delight. "OhMyGosh, the image in my head is actually working before my eyes!" I LOVE that.

I have to mention that this is not entirely my own original idea. Miss Greenthumb Jean
has the cutest tea kettle fountain -- it's shown in her archive under May 5. The minute I saw it I knew I wanted dishes in my pond. I LOVE dishes. Perfect. So thank you Jean for the perfect idea. Blessedly it turned out really well.

Next is the planting here and there so it doesn't look quite so bare. As this was coming about I did get some mums, but despite daily the recent sweltering heat took it's toll. They don't look so good... so back to the nusery to see what further mischeif I can get into.

Also, of couse, the pond so longs for fishes and froggies. There is a fish hatchery nearby, which is where I got the water cabbage/lettuce, water hyacinth and lily pads. (There is some debate here as to which it is -- lettuce or cabbage. If you know, do tell.) Anyway, the fish hatchery people are smart enough to sell other pond accoutrements to suckers like me who say, "Oooh, pretty, I will pay cash money for some of that." At some point I will have to blog about the fish hatchery -- it is amazing! Tank after HUGE tank of fishes and froggies and crawdads, oh my!

But for now we are all glee and delight over my dazzling dirty dish fountains. And if you have any ideas of what to plant there around the pump please share, I am eager for ideas.

12 comments:

Tami Bayer said...

This is even better than I imagined. The pump is just like we used at Grandma's house to get water and the dishes remind me of her, too. Really magical. You definitely need water lilies for the frogs. Hmmmm I see tall foxgloves and hollyhocks next to the fence.

Jean said...

I've been waiting for this!Your dish fountain came out adorable! LOVE IT!! I'm glad something I did inspired you. As for planting, I would plant ferns and a ground cover as a backdrop for you lovely fountain. Too much color may take away from the beautiful dishes. I'd add color in other places. Have fun!

Francie...The Scented Cottage Studio said...

Dazzling and delightful indeed!

thank-you Jenny!!! I LOVES

(())

KT said...

I LOVE your fountain! It's soooo cute. I know you are going to enjoy your pond.
Katie

PAT said...

Let me just tell you this is fabulous. I love this creative fountain! Great job!

Pat

Vallen said...

it has turned out just perfect, better than perfect. It is a dazzling idea and you made it a dazzling reality.

Mary Anne said...

That fountain is the cutest darn thing!!!!! Love it!

Angie said...

Wow! you are amazing and so is your fountain. Wish I had your energy level.

Angie

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Jenny, now how cute is that?? I knew you were doing this pond, but didn't know this part! That is so cute & unique. I think those are called water cabbage. I used to have a pond in GA & put those & lillies in mine, along with water hyacinths. Those things really multiply. Great job with your pond.

OK, so you don't like ice cream...your other stuff sounds mighty good too! I wouldn't turn it down either.

Rhoda

Gretel said...

That's so lovely! I can't wait to see what you do next. :)

Betty said...

Loe it! Love it! Now I want one! I would plant lots of pink flowers to go with the dishes. It turned out so pretty!

Anonymous said...

I love your dazzling dirty dish fountainn ~ what a wonderful use for dirty dishes~ LOL. What a beautiful baby boy too~ You have to be just tickled to have him dropped on your doorstep. ~ s