Saturday, March 10, 2007

Introducing Natalie, the Wonder Dog


If the Little White Dog is Princess, Natalie is Queen. She is the smart one, the cautious one, the brains of the bunch, the one who makes sure bad people stay away and that any ham that hits the floor gets scarfed up before it leaves a mark. This is a rare front-facing photo of Natalie who is in charge of the world. I have lots of Natalie stories... like how much this otherwise friendly, happy dog hates HATES Boo, the scary creepy neighbor next door. "I don't know why you let that dog a'yurn not like me." Hmmm, how to explain that it is entirely the dog's call and I trust her judgment on this one. She's the smart girl. When frolicsome ridiculous friends come to visit Natalie rolls her eyes, really, and heads for some place comfortable out of the fray. The Natalie eye roll is classic. She rolls her eyes at cheery Bischons and pert Australian shepherd puppies and at little old ladies who chatter to her in baby-talk. "You're a pretty pretty puppy-puppy-puppy, yes you are," a visitor cackled one recent afternoon. Natalie issued the unmistakable eye roll before exiting to the safe haven of my bed. Poor Natalie has a constitution that doesn't suffer fool's gladly and where'd she land, Fool's Paradise. By way of apology, I do what I can to frequently drop a slab of ham.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now that is one smart dog! Give her a nice gentle stroke of the forehead for me. I have much respect for the intuition of our furry friends. :)

Francie...The Scented Cottage Studio said...

Clever girl. She and Willie have similar dispositions it seems...I have also found it best to trust the intuitions of these particular family members too. Now Great Aunt Mabel, not so much.

Oblique Angles said...

While Princess Talia is cute as a button, has a fluffy personality and bounces through life mindlessly, Queen Natalie has important stuff to do: she has to take care of her human companion, which she feels is as difficult as nailing jello to a wall. Queen Natalie is serious, commited and is clearly "a woman of substance." You rule, Natalie!

Vallen said...

I think Queen Natalie may be channeling me. I'm not dead but darn if that isn't my personality. Kindred spirits - maybe that's it.

Mary Anne said...

Loved the pooch story ! Smart dog !also wanted to thank you for stopping by my new blog !! I appreciate the encouragement!

Mary Anne