Sunday, May 18, 2008

A Little Deconstruction

Looky here, isn't this what every girl wants? Her very own dumpster!!!! Ah, be still my heart.


I am so excited about the dumpster because it gives me a place to put my porch. Yes, my porch.


It's a very sad story about my porch... see, it has been crumbling for years... and years, since before I even bought the house and made it my own. Though it looks like a nice enough porch, it was mostly held together with paint and fading dreams.

But eventually reality sets in and the thing has to be dealt with...
That's Poor Gordon whose only mistake was dating a girl whose house is a little on the wobbly side. He did the lion's share of the demolition. My son, Adrian came to help too. My job was primarily debris removal -- I got to toss it all into that big not-so-shiny dumpster. Woo-Hoo!!I always get the good jobs.

See that post... the rain found a leak in the roof, dripped in and rotted the post from the inside out. I can't even begin to describe the damage the birds did. They found a little hole, made it bigger, moved in, brought their friends... It was like a starling frat party up there. When the old nest got too decrepit they shoved it back and built anew. Rotten birds.

And here is my porch -- No More...

The plan is to build a new one... though, time is ever the issue. Next weekend my favorite builder boyfriend is otherwise engaged... the follwing weekend my youngest niece is getting married. It could be till the end of summer... but it better not be! I'm going to go find more debris to toss in that dumpster.

9 comments:

J. Smith said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tami Bayer said...

Gordon is definitely a keeper. I love the line about his only mistake. Beautifully written and such a fantastic pictoral journey of the process. Is the dumpster full yet?

Jean said...

What jobs you get yourself into! I hope you can get your porch rebuilt so you can enjoy it this summer.

Gretel said...

I only like dumpsters (we call them skips in Britain) when they are full of things to scavenge! :)

I like the idea of porches, we don't have them over here (Except on beach cabins) - I have a romantic idea of everyone out on their porch in rocking chairs and hammocks, having a nice, communal time of it.

PAT said...

Your new porch is going to be great Jenny!

I've done some dumpster diving and dump picking for that matter. I don't think I've had a dumpster in the yard. Although, we had the big stock truck in the yard a time or two, when we had various demo jobs happening at the farm. Yep, that would be pretty much the same as a dumpster;)!

I love your new stove!
Pat

Francie...The Scented Cottage Studio said...

oh my now I have dumpster envy! I could fill one up in a heartbeat...umm well actually I have enough stuff to fill it up. I actually wouldn't do it of course :)

Oh I am praying for a new porch for you sooner rather than later....

(())

Vallen said...

I know that whatver you do it and whenever you manage to do it, that porch will be kick-ass 'cause you are the Princess of Power Tools and the Contessa of Class-y.
A dumpster? Some girls have all the fun!!!

Betty said...

You do know that I love your little cottage-porch or no porch! That door just says to me...come on in!

Anonymous said...

Jenny! What a cute little house! Are you going to build back on a porch similar to what was there? Saaaaweet! :) I love the deconstruction part. Swinging a big 'ol sledgehammer or the like is such a great way to work off stress~! lol