Monday, May 12, 2008

The Happiest Mother's Day

Where, oh where, do I begin.... let's say the beginning. My dear thoughtful boyfriend wanted a day just for us doing something beyond the norm, something romantic -- the norm being chores and projects, wild and crazy folks that we are. But this weekend, Mother's Day, to have time to ourselves meant Saturday. So he found a gristmill restaurant and off we went on our private personal adventure. It was so much fun -- this little town north of Beyond-All-That is just a crossroads in the woods where a deep gorge carved out a great place for a waterwheel. Oh, it was so pretty. Breathtaking really. The food was good, our table was right on the edge of the gorge and the service was charming.

No little town that features a gristmill restaurant is worth it's salt without a couple of antique stores. But it is such a little town. Once we'd dined in the mill and cruised through a few antique shops... that was it. But five miles away was another little town, well known as a hippy enclave with all the requisite head shops and pottery shops, stained glass designers and college bars -- think 1968, the summer of love, sandals, peace signs, peasant tops, incense... Groovy. I had more fun than a dune buggy load of Monkees. I picked up Peruvian knitted finger puppets for my wee Grandson and a beautiful blue hand thrown tea pot for my darling daughter-in-law and a surprise birthday gift for my manly-man boy child. Less than never do I simply fiddle and shop --it's a wonder I know what's available at all. We stayed and shopped so long that we had dinner at one of the college bars, outside, after the shops began closing up. It was a great day.

And then Sunday -- the REAL Mother's Day, I worked my fanny off... with this:


I got a brand new stove Saturday morning - I feared it would not be delivered in time for my Gristmill in the Woods adventure.... ahhh, but it was. I would show a picture of the old one, but I was too focused on shoving it out the door to snap a picture. Let's just say... it was OLD. Not necessarily ugly old (though it did lack a certain vintage charm from the get-go). It wasn't even broken... but this stove has a griddle. It's got a convection oven, too and a warming drawer... it's slick and shiny and... oh, I am in love.

So I worked real hard on a Mother's Day Brunch... for these people. That's my son, my Grandson, my daughter-in-law and my Sweetie.

This was the first "event" in my newly redone dining room!!!! Frankly, the china cabinet isn't yet built... but the pieces are cut out and ready... These poeple weren't going to sweat a little thing like "no china cabinet." We were too bust being dazzled by this cake my darling daughter-in-law created. It was as delicious and scruptious and wonderful as t looks. Oh, she puts up with my son and bakes to boot! She is amazing!

It was a real nice weekend. I hope each of you enjoyed a wonderful relaxing, content, satisfying Mother's Day too. To you and your family -- grab as much delight as you can. And eat cake.

2 comments:

Vallen said...

New stove? With a griddle? and a day of luxury. Woman, you really know how to live!!!

Francie...The Scented Cottage Studio said...

Sounds like a fabulous week-end ! ... and ooh la la that stove. Not to mention the cake...and the precious GRANDbaby....you are a blessed woman indeed.

(())