Thursday, March 27, 2008

As Good As It Gets

So the snow has melted and given way to these:



I love crocuses -- in their Sunday Best they trumpet the arrival of spring like a happy surprise. Just seeing the little shoots pushing up through the cold earth shakes off the weariness of winter and fills our collective heads with a new beginning, a fresh start. That's as good as it gets.

I've been so wickedly busy these past many weeks that frankly I could use a fresh start. I was in Pennsylvania all last week helping my boyfriend and his brother spruce up their parents house for sale. It's been sitting empty for some three years now -- suffice it to say that "sprucing up" doesn't really begin to cover it. If ever anything was in need of a fresh start that house tops the list. And now what I could use is a nice nap... in the sunshine... in a hammock. But I am getting ahead of myself.

My living room and dining room projects are nearly complete -- a few drapes to hem and a china cabinet to build. I tend to loose steam when I'm so close to being finished... Does that happen to you? The week before going to Pennsylvania I was in a big push to get the dining room drapes finished and up and got as far as the hem. Now that I'm back I don't yet have the itch in me to wrap it up. But by Saturday, ready or not, I'll get them done. Maybe I need to gaze at those crocuses a little longer, to breath in more of that "fresh start" air out there.

What does spring evoke for you?

8 comments:

Francie...The Scented Cottage Studio said...

So good to have you back...and spring too. Not much more I could ask for except maybe a get away to a balmy island where Mark Harmon and I are the only occupants,except of course for a huge wait staff whose only function is to see to our every desire...well almost every...sigh. Oops sorry got off course a bit.

Soooo happy you are back!!!

Vallen said...

The difference in pictures from last post to this - well, in less than a month the world has changed immensely. Take a break and enjoy.

Anonymous said...

I love crocuses, too, Jenny! :) They are the first spring bulb I plant in any garden I tend. And for some reason, the little white ones bloom first, and have without fail open their delicate petals on Feb. 10. That day is a memorial day of sorts for me, and seeing those sweet little flowers assures me that much is still right in this world. :)

PAT said...

I'm happy to see you here, Jenny! Spring evokes time for renewal for me. We've been busy "renewing" the house, before J goes in for surgery, the end of this month.

I'm looking forward to seeing your makeovers!

Pat

Betty said...

Spring usually means cleaning away all of the cobwebs...in the house, in the garden, in my head. Lounging on a hammock sounds so much better!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Swamp Tulip said...

I hope you got those drapes hemmed. Spring has been teasing us here. We get a warm sunny day followed by a few days in the 30's. We are starting to see some green grass peeking up and only a few patches of snow remain.

Teresa

Tami Bayer said...

The dogwoods magically have white blossoms this week. That means spring more than anything to me. Love those crocus.