Sunday, March 2, 2008

It's About Time

Lest you suspect I've fallen off the planet, fact is I've been sewing and painting and building, never mind that work thing too. But my house is coming along -- two steps forward, three back, right on schedule. The living room is feeling more and more warm and inviting. Remeber this piece of art my boyfriend had framed for me for Christmas. Ahhhhh. It takes my breath away. And it's finally been hung...


But what to do with that empty space... leave it alone... add more art... shelves... Hmmm? Finally it occured to me that what it wants is a clock...

But this one, hanging in my garage, is too big, too tattered...

And this one, thanks to T.J. Maxx, is too new...

I went to a middle of the road antique store hoping to find just the right clock, just the right age... at just the right price. (A girl can dream.) The Antique Owner was on the funny side, "I haven't sold one of thjose in quite a while -- do you know what they run?" Odd question, I thought. And, "No, I haven't a clue... I'm thinking $60 to $80." The Antiques Owner's eyes grew wide: shock, horror, offense registered on his face. "You won't find it!" he said. "You just won't find it -- not for under $180." (A minute before he hadn't sold one in a long long while and had no idea what a nice old clock might cost -- but now he was sure my price couldn't be had. And that I should be smacked for even thinking it.)

But this one... I rather like this one. And I sure didn't pay $180 for it. I didn't pay even $80 for it.

How it came about was after dinner. At our favorite neighborhood Italian place I'd been telling my boyfriend the tale of the obnoxious Antiques Owner. "You won't find it," I repeated. My boyfriend laughed. We finished dinner. We jumped in the truck and upon leaving the parking lot the truck headlights swept a trash pile of the apartment across the street from the Italian place. I caught the headlight reflection on the clock face first. "STOP!" I think I very nearly gave my boyfriend a stroke. I lept from the truck, darted across the street, snatched up the clock and Looky there -- it looks nice on my wall next to my print, don't you think? A few more pieces of ... something are needed there... maybe a lantern... maybe a piccolo (why not?)

And now, back to sewing and painting and building... There's more to come... lest I fall off the planet.

9 comments:

Connie said...

Everything looks great. That was a wonderful story about the clock...unbelievable coincidence!

Did you make the slipcover/reupholster the camel back sofa? If so, please give us a tutorial. Thanks. Connie

Vallen said...

I love this kind of fairy tale - fairy tales can come true, it could happen to you, when you're young at heart. The young part - that's the key!!! The clock looks perfect!!!

Angie said...

Jenn, you must have fallen off the same edge I did. Glad to see you back and everything is looking great!

Ange

FrenchGardenHouse said...

What a great story!! The kind we all love. The clock looks perfect, a gift from above.:)
xo Lidy

Mary Anne said...

Welcome back to the planet !!! ...and your living room looks just BEAUTIFUL !!! The clock is PERFECT !! (you two were meant to be together !!! )

Tami Bayer said...

How I love a story where the impossible is accomplished and for free at that! Good job. You place is coming along beautifully. So nice to hear from you :)

Francie...The Scented Cottage Studio said...

LOL, I just said that you make my day.... and so you do dear Jenny!

Everything looks soooo very wonderful. Come to my house soon, please...

(())

PAT said...

Great find, that clock, Jenny! I love how you found it, too! Your room is lookin' good!

Pat

Gretel said...

That is divine providence, you deserved to find that! What is it about antiques dealers everywhere, it seems they are greedy and often unpleasant.
I am amazed at all the snow you are having over there, all the US blogs I go to (apart from the Californians) seem to have 6 ft drifts!