Saturday, June 2, 2007

Visitors, Packages and Brainstorms

I do a lot of different kinds of work for a lot of different kinds of people and one of those tasks is more a labor of love -- I get to babysit Lucy. Lucy, as you can see, is entirely charming:

Maybe she looks only a little demonic -- well quite a lot actually, but I assure you, she really is a sweetie. Everyone thinks so... accept Talia:


Talia is not buying the "Happy Visitor" routine -- she believes down to her toes that Lucy is an evil invader and it isn't soon enough till Lucy goes home. Talia will sulk, Talia will pout... for about four days, at which time she will decide that maybe Lucy isn't so bad after all and so she will play nice and happy and cheery. They will cavort and leap and twirl for an entire day and a half. Then it will be time for Lucy to go home. And THEN Talia will sulk and pout and look bored and pitiful. Good grief

Today was not only a thrilling day thanks to the arrival of Lucy, but also my very brave mailman delivered the happiest package. (The dogs carry on so ferociously I am ever amazed the mailman bothers to approach my doorstep at all.)

My Package was from Teresa at MaggieGraceCreates and boy did she ever. This was for an ATC swap -- part of the swap is that the ATC be mounted or framed. Teresa is a quilter of the first order... so she quilted both the ATC AND the frame upon which it hangs!!! Isn't this the cleverest thing. One of Teresa's posts, while making this was JENNY, DON'T LOOK! It was so hard to not look, but I didn't want to spoil the surprise. Now I'll have to go back and look! I am endlessly impressed with quilters. All those perfect little blocks... all those tiny stitches. Looky here: And being very sweet, Teresa packed, and I mean packed this box with all manner of lovlies from her very own studio... there are charms and trims and papers, OhMy!

That's quite a lot, isn't it. Thanks Teresa!! I LOVE it.

And now, for the BRAINSTORM portion of our show -- because it is the weekend, which is when I get the bulk of work done on my ongoing Children's Garden project, it occured to me that what I needed was a hand! Or rather a a couple of hands attached to some strong and mighty muscles. (Leaves me out.)How to get muscles here? How?

What I want to do is dig a Magical Frog Pond -- because every Children's Garden needs one. And there is a sidewalk right in the way of where the Magical Frog Pond goes. I swung a sledgehammer rather effectively a time or two before it struck me that somebody younger or bigger should be doing this. And perhaps the path to getting them here is magical ... a party. I will have a Magical Frog Pond Digging Party. Invites have gone out and it will be held tomorrow. The revelers are mostly vegetarian, so I am serving very healthy veggie wraps along with fruit smoothies -- because if I serve them beer they will be too bloated and groggy to sling a sledgehammer or dig a very impressive frog pond hole. And for dessert (my daughter-in-law is a pastry chef, so I never bother with cake, that's her very impressive department) we are having fruit compote -- all my favorite fruits topped with orange glace, almond slivers and whipped cream.

I've never had a work party before, but it makes a lot of sense and to my sensibilities it sounds like a lot of fun -- I'll let you know how it works out.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW!! You treat your worker well! I wish I could join in the digging. I will dig from afar today. Please send the fruit compote~ in spirit!

Francie...The Scented Cottage Studio said...

Whew! You sure got some mileage going today :). First of all, what a cutie visitor you have...maybe Talia will come around a bit sooner than usual...we will hope.
What a fabulous bit of work you received...and extra goodies too.
Now for the Magical Frog Pond Dig..I hope it is going well. If I had known about the food I could have been there in time too...well, almost...at least in time for dessert LOLx2

Oblique Angles said...

Jenny:

Your posting today is filled with such wonders, I hardly know where to begin. You know I'm a sucker for critter photos, and I don't recall ever seeing a funnier photo than Lucy, The Cheerful Bichon, bouncing, bouncing on the sofa while poor Talia looks positively miserable. "How, oh how, could my wonderful Mommy have brought this hyperactive, non-stop bouncing dog into my very own house?"

And then there's the lovely quilt! It is heart-stoppingly beautiful. Okay, I give up. What is an ATC swap? Is this crafty talk?

And now, today, you are hosting your own slegdehammering frog pond digging party. Hmmm... Funny. I don't think even Martha Stewart covers such an event. Hopefully your diggers will come with lots of muscle strength and a large appetite. The menu sounds perfect! You, as the hostess, should keep your very pregant DIL company as she rests on the chaise lounge. Yes, that should be your job. Now, who's going to stand over you both, fanning, if the weather becomes warm?

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Enjoy your little visitor, hope your doggie will behave. What a nice quilt you got. What a great menu for your little party. Yum!

Rhoda
Southern Hospitality

Angie said...

Work parties are so much fun! Our neighborhood garden club has them all the time. As a matter of fact, my front garden is the result of a work party. Have fun!

Betty said...

Can't wait to hear how your frog pond digging party turned out. I keep hearing the song, Froggie went a courtin". I love that quilted ATC and I am headed over there to check out her site right now. Thanks for sharing, Jenny.

Oblique Angles said...

There's nothing I like better than dining al fresco, especially under a pretty canopy, swagged and festooned. No, wait! There's nothing I like better than a wee white dog trying to get in as many of the shots as possible. No wait! There's nothing I like better than seeing guys busting their butts digging a Magical Frog Pond! Priceless.!

Swamp Tulip said...

Darn - I wish I lived closer. What a fun group project :)

Teresa