Saturday, June 23, 2007

Roots and Other Treasures

My wee froggy pond is going and growing, but oh-so slowly . It seems I encountered some nasty nasty roots. In my yard it is hard to not encounter nasty roots. My house and my postage-stamp sized lot, sits smack in the center of freakin' Sherwood Forest. There are trees to the right of me. There are trees to the left of me. Any trees that were actually mine have been mostly hacked down. I don;t have a problem with trees per se -- trees are nice... unless they are shading and shadowing my house, my garage, my deck, my everything that is mine, blocking out sunshine which warms and cleans and kills mold and moss spores.
And so, in revenge for hacking down six trees, each and every spade I dig into the earth is circumvented by roots. Roots, roots, roots. Like these:

They look like they could happily reach out and snatch me into the earth and keep me. But I will be brave and see what I can do to hack them out of what will be my frog pond. It's them or me.

So on a day when I have my work cut out for me, this lovely package has arrived from Dear Francie of The Scented Cottage!!! Boas and bells and beads, Oh My!!! This is from the private crafting stash of Francie and her late mother -- I am so honored that Francie shares with me. I do crafting classes at a couple of assisted living centers. Coming up with projects can be a challenge, but twice Francie has generously shared from her stash. As a result she has saved my crafting sanity. This box also includes ribbon roses, patterns a bit of piece work, crafting sticks, charms and stencils... Surely I can find something in here to craft with my "Little Old Ladies" , or I'm not Miss Jenny the Art Lady .

I knew this treasure was from Francie of The SCENTED Cottage before I even opened it, thanks to the wonderful aroma coming from within. Right on top, the lower right hand corner, is the loveliest scented sachet in the prettiest vintage morning glory packet. She has sachets and candles and sprays and melters... I'd be hard pressed to select a favorite... I love her candles -- the rich scent lasts and lasts even when they are not burning. These sachets I tuck here and there around my workroom for a nice scent wafting past my nose as I work -- that's really nice. But I'd say the most glorious luxury of all is linen spray. When my weary bones nestle into my bed at night, after a long day in the workshop or an afternoon wrestling roots, my cool scented sheets envelope me in a delicate lavendar scent and I am off to sweet dreams in minutes. A visit to Francie's scent shop and in no time your home will enjoy the most wonderful medley of soothing scents.

8 comments:

Francie...The Scented Cottage Studio said...

Oh my Jenny...a wee bit embarrassed here, especially since it was such a wee box...but it makes me sooo happy that you do love the linen mist. I also love the lavender, it gives me sweet dreams.
Now about that froggy pond...am sending you a small "overseer" to help out just a bit....ribbbit ribbbbittt LOLx2

Gretel said...

What a wonderful box, (Francie is far too modest!) I have this vision of your back yard surrounded by angry, menacing trees trying to wrench their way under your fence, like Old Man Willow in Lord of the rings!

OldBagNewTricks said...

Francie -0- no need to be neither embarrassed nor modest. Your scents are spectacular and your "wee" package was crammed full to the brim. Perfectly packed!

Gretel -- Great visual and very accurate -- these trees were qute menacing!!!! But I am brave. And strong.

Angie said...

Time to dig out the old chain saw girl! Take care of those roots.

PAT said...

That's quite the wonderful box of goodies!

You are really going to appreciate that pond, when it's finished, aren't you!!;-)

Pat

Tami Bayer said...

I immediately thought of the whomping willow from Harry Potter books when I read your description of the trees. You are a very dedicated pond digger. Can't wait to see your beautiful frog pond. Lovely crafting goodies, too!

Betty said...

I love your box of goodies. Lucky you!

Mary Anne said...

Oh I can sympathize re: the roots everywhere you dig -- we have ROCKS ---not little rocks -- big BOULDERS -- as in left behind by a glacier during the ice age BOULDERS !! Anyhow, what a fun package from the Scented Cottage !! (I think you should take a break from that root digging/hacking and play with all the fun stuff in that package!)