Monday, June 4, 2007

Magical Frog Pond Dig Soiree

It is the sort of event you aren't sure is going to come off -- like a move. Is it going to happen? Is it going to be awful? Are my people who promised to come going to come?


The event was scheduled for Dining at 6, Digging to Commence Immediately After. Adrian has never been an especially enthusiastic physical laborer and I've never set down judgments about that, though I could, considering he is of a family of physical laborers... Is it a good thing? A bad thing? I don't know. But he agreed to come -- this Magical Froggy Pond is for HIS upcoming child after all.

While planning this event it seemed a lovely idea to set up a canopy. Dining outside, nice enough on it's own, also provides a lovely "nest" if you will for Shanna, the mother-to-be, to be. And so the canopy was raised, a nice cushioned wicker chair was settled in. Odd chairs from here and there were gathered round. Lucy the Cheerful Bichon, who is visiting, checked to make sure all the preparations were being placed correctly. She especially approved the sheer swag for it's
festive appeal. I was about to string lights inside the canopy when it began to rain buckets and vermin.

Oh no -- I was pretty sure I could get them to come to dig ... but would they come to dig if it were raining? Would they bulk... would they grumble? Well, yes, they would grumble, de rigeur for any work required event. The food was already prepared and with rain coming in torrents there was only so much fussing I could do with the tables and table settings. Then, just in time, it cleared. The rain ceased, the sun came out -- temperatures had dipped comfortably and the ground where the digging would take place was softer but not soaked. How good was this? Divine Providence.

And so they came... Well, Shanna, the Mother-to-Be, did not come and I was very sorry to not get to spend time with her -- she is very dear. She sent her regrets and it reminded me of when Adrian was very nearly here. I had a day when I felt, oddly, not quite right... and then nothing. For several days I was fine as fine, till one day, during which I felt like any other day, he came.

My workers were amazed that I set out all this for them. If not for them, then who? And as it was raining I didn't get to set up the lights or really fuss with the tables, but men do not notice. As it was they seemed pleased. Impressed. Hungry.


I love those little ceramic dishes -- they all have lids, so I can prepare all my foods, stack them in the fridge and yet they are nice enough to set on a table (I have issues with plastics as tableware. Seems lots of my issues involve the table... I eschew paper napkins... Oh, if only there were time enough to seek proper mental health.) What I opted to serve -- because we would be working afterward, and because my son and his wife are vegetarians, -- was veggie wraps. Filling enough that my workers wouldn't faint, healthy enough that they wouldn't stuff themselves into a useless stupor.

It worked and so did they. They dug... they cracked concrete. Adrian, as it turned out, was a really really good digger. And he was the one who helped me figure the shape. I can usually envision anything -- things that aren't there is a specialty of mine... But this Magical Frog Pond had me stumped. The white stuff is flour that we used as a sort of "chalk" line. They did such a nice job.
Once the big chunks of concrete were broken up and once the perimeter was dug my workers enjoyed a lovely dessert... strawberries, apples, raspberries with orange glace and whipped cream. We admired their work and then they left. It is now up to me to dig deep, to fuss, to get the fine points right.

This is what I will be doing for days -- but what I lack in speed, I make up for in sheer sticktoitiveness ... and so I go, back to dig. It will be done soon. It will be a Magical Frog Pond.

12 comments:

Francie...The Scented Cottage Studio said...

Your dining set up looks wonderful! The Magical Frog Pond soon to be a reality...along with a grandbaby to enjoy it with. I know the end results (of both :) will be magnificent.

Thanks for the pictures, looking forward to more.

Vallen said...

I will gladly dig today for a canopy dinner tomorrow. BEE-YOU-TI-FULL

Jean said...

What a beautiful setting for dinner! Can't wait to see the Magical Frog Pond!

Anonymous said...

What a treat for the guys!!! I especially love the swagged fabric draped for atmosphere! I can't wait to see the finished frog pond and all the rest of the wonderful back yard!
Tracey

Angie said...

How pretty! So glad mother nature eventually cooperated and glad your work party showed up. Thanks for your comment on my blog and entering my give away.

Mary Anne said...

So glad Mother Nature cooperated with your plans ! What a pretty set up for dinner and bribing those guys!! (pretty sneaky -- I'm very proud of you!) The frog pond sounds like every kids' dream come true - can't wait to see it all finished! You are SO creative !!!!

PAT said...

I loved all your preparations. The food sounds wonderful!

I've fed many a "crew". Isn't it amazing, the work that gets done, when food is in the mix!

I can't wait to see your Magical Froggy Pond!

Pat
Back Porch Musings

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Sounds great, Jenny! Can't wait to see this magical froggy pond come to life.

RHoda

OldBagNewTricks said...

Oblique Angles said...
There's nothing I like better than dining al fresco, especially under a pretty canopy, swagged and festooned. No, wait! There's nothing I like better than a wee white dog trying to get in as many of the shots as possible. No wait! There's nothing I like better than seeing guys busting their butts digging a Magical Frog Pond! Priceless

Anonymous said...

What a pleasant day! There's the feeling of a good old-fashioned barn raising in your words and photos. My favorite photo is of you, Jenny. The sun has set, but there you are enjoying, fussing a bit, and I bet, in your mind's eye you are seeing what will be.

OldBagNewTricks said...

Dori, You are absolutely right -- I was "seeing" what would be... "Strawberries here, balloon flowers there, rocks so high ... is this where the pump goes? Over there.... hmmmm.... Oh, nice." It is as iff you were here, reading my mind.

Jenny

Betty said...

Jenny...what a great idea to treat the men like princes while they dug your frog pond!