Monday, March 16, 2009

Endless Entertainment

I could watch this for hours - the cat grabs the dog and the dog grabs the cat and the cat grabs the dog, on and on it goes, round and round, day after day. Are they fighting? Are they dancing? Who's to say... all that's for sure is that I am the cheapest of cheap dates. I could watch Bailey and the Beloved Talia square off and spar endlessly.


I'm not sure precisely when this started... but it started with a whole different cat. It started with Maggie who was black and white and practically perfect in every way. My current two cats have issues, as do many cats... with a capital I. But Maggie was a text book perfect cat. Charming pleasant, didn't tear up mail, pee on carpets (or shoes or the stove -- I once knew a woman whose cat regularly peed on her stove!!!!) Maggie was perfect. And she played a perfect little game of "Poke" with Talia. With her nose Talia would poke Maggie before hurriedly darting backward before Maggie could liesurely grab her. Then Talia would dart in for another quick nose poke to which Maggie would calmly stretch and reach out for another grab. It was a sweet game - kind of quiet and charming, like watching two little kids taking turns to play jacks.


Suddenly one weekend Maggie sickened. She was gone before we knew it. Our Practically Perfect Maggie. We missed her terribly -- none of us missed her more so than Talia. For weeks Talia had that lost look, a little sad, a little confused. But I give Talia huge credit for her attempts to rally. She first tried to play the game with Molly. I should say that Molly is 16... you can only guess how little Molly was up for a game of Poke!

Talia then tried Poke with Bailey... who was NOT amused. "Poke me, will you?" Bailey hissed. Talia's face was priceless. She had offered her greatest gift -- the invitation to play Poke and the snotty haughty Bailey had the nerve to hiss! Harrumph!

But maybe hissing wasn't so bad. It wasn't the way Maggie had played the game... maybe Talia could teach Bailey the rules. Maybe they could take the game of Poke and make it their own. Maybe.


Poke has evolved into a game of Grab-n-Snatch. It is not a quiet little parlor game. It's a tumble-bumble raucus good time. Talia pounces on Bailey, Bailey pounces back. It is anybody's game. There's an object lesson in here about resiliencey and evolution and blah, blah, blah... but mostly it's about the little white dog and the big black cat making splendid good fun.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just came to your blog from Pat's at Backporch Musings--your name just intrigued me. Well, now so does this delightful blog of yours!!

We are both animal lovers, so I just got the biggest kick out of this post about the games your dog and cat/s play with each other!! I can totally relate!

I also LOVED seeing your redecorating projects--another area where we are alike! I'm not the decorating queen (like Pat, who is amazing), but I want things to look decent (and it's a struggle). Yours turned out great!

Hope you have a great St. Pat's Day and it was so much fun to "meet" you! Dana

Mary Anne Drury said...

How FUN! ... sounds like my zoo (except I have 3 kitties and no pooches).

....and your redecorating project turned out GREAT! (as usual!)

...and thanks for the compliments re: my blog and the pennie pockets, etc :)

Angie said...

It is so much fun to watch the animals play together. My doggie and kittie love to play. And when my DD's ferret comes over, the real fun starts.