Wednesday, March 11, 2009

The Big Reveal!

For most of us we are never truly DONE with home decor -- we're forever adding, a plate here, a throw there... or taking away, the vase that doesn't work, the print that misses it's mark. So I can't say I am done.... but what I was shooting for is "livable". (My secret dream was for my rooms to feel like a jewel box. From the sub-standard, less than humble beginnings, what I had were HIGH HOPES!)

That was then:



This is now:

Notice the picture on the wall above the pitiful blue chair never changed.

It started with removing this wretched radiator! My problem with the radiator is that it extends beyond the window (read drapes) by several inches. My second problem with the radiator is that even an attractive cover would have resulted in a large "dead zone" in an already small room. Clearly the radiator HAD to go.
Here's the radiator:


Here it's gone:


Here's the result:


Finally, this shot of my living room, is from the space between those dark cabinets (where the radiator used to be) looking squarely across the room.



The dining room was another "Project". Initially when I moved into this house I did not want a "Full Time Dining Room". Thinking that we use a dining room twice a year and I use a work room on a daily basis, what I wanted was a Full Time Work Room and a Part-Time Dining Room. But it did not work out...

It wasn't a bad idea... the problem was that I did not take this room seriously. I didn't really "decorate" it. I kept the ratty old carpet, I did nothing to disguise or gussy up the lower cabinets. I did not consciously worry about storage or edit my projects and materials. The room quickly grew into an Unmanageable Monster Mess.

So I took it apart -- moved the work room upstairs...



And reclaimed the dining room...



It has been a very long process -- it started with having the radiator removed and baseboard radiators to replace them. Then there was installing the carpet. Both were projects I hired outside contractors to do. Everything else was all me. From painting the walls to dyeing fabric for the drapes, sewing the drapes, upholstering the furniture... oh, I did have my boyfriend build the china rack. I even learned to matt my art -- not because I am such a stickler for details... though maybe I am, but because of "creative differences" with the frame girl at Michael's (let's not go there).

One of the cabinets in the living room had to be, shall we say, rescued. It feels like a baby's bottom now, and I've turned it into a first rate liquor cabinet with a wine fridge and all, but when I first suggested bringing it in the house the looks I received were shock and horror.

It's been a lot of work and there are still things to do... but we've gone from a frightful chaotic mess to pretty and presentable.

And during the process there were birthdays and holidays. I did the kitchen too. And the occassional time off for good behavior or to prevent bad behavior. So I hope you can understand why there were weeks, even months, when I was silent here... there just wasn't much to report... there were often things I'd rather not mention... But finally, finally, I have what feels like a home. Ahhhh.

10 comments:

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Hi, Jenny, thanks for telling me about your room makeover. What a difference in both spaces now! I love them both, so warm and inviting. I know you must really enjoy hanging out there now. Great job on it all!

Esther said...

Hi, I saw your comment at Southern Hospitality and stopped by. I love what you've down with your rooms. I love a good before and after comparison and what you've done is fantastic. Congratulations.

Angie said...

What a difference! I know you are happy to have it "done" for now.

Anonymous said...

WOW! It looks fantabulous!! And you go right ahead and dig into your stash of pillowcases :)) Hope you have a fun and gorgeous weekend. ~ Lynn

Anonymous said...

Jenny I was just thinking I wish I could get into your head and see things from a more creative yet organized way. More more more!!!

Jean said...

Jenny, Your rooms are both absolutely lovely! The chair and the cabinets came out perfectly. Love everything about it! Jean

Anonymous said...

Oh, my...what a fabulous re-do, Jenny! Way to go, being bold with that radiator. Your living room and dining room are just as charming and welcoming as can be! Enjoy! :)

Tami Bayer said...

Oh my goodness, you do have a little jewel box there, Jenny. Worth every moment of hair pulling and hard work. Can't wait to see the kitchen and wondering out loud where the creative supplies are now. Glad you stopped by and that you are back. I missed you.

BTW...grungeboard is made by Ranger and comes in a set called Nature for about $10 with all sorts of birds, butterflies, leaves, flowers, etc. already die cut. You can paint it or even sew through it. Pretty amazing stuff. Happy to enable you my friend.

Francie...The Scented Cottage Studio said...

Jenny it is alll beeeeyouteeful !
You have done a fabulous job.

I just have one question...

Ummmm...is MY room done yet?


(())

Queenly Things said...

Holy crap!! You are hired!!!!!