Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Christmas Cabin in the Woods

Merry Merry Christmas!!! I am hoping each of you enjoyed a warm and lovely and peaceful Christmas.

Our joyous holiday was spent at a cottage in Cumberland Falls State Park for what we have referred to as "The Christmas Cabin in the Woods". Oh, it was lovely ~~ kind of idyllic, like camping, except with heat and electric, running water and a kitchen. And a fireplace.



We had such a nice time -- my son, daughter-in-law, grandson, boyfriend and me. The weather could not have been nicer. It was a little cloudy, but warm enough. We enjoyed a lovely outdoor lunch on the deck of our cabin...

This was such a nice relaxing way to spend Christmas together ~ we went hiking -- or rather, the way we do it it might more accurately be called "tramping" through the woods.

My daughter-in-law, practically perfect in every way, is a pastry chef and a dazzling cook. I'm a fair cook myself. We much appreciated having the kitchen. Of course we brought way more food than we could ever consume... just in case. (Adrian has been trained from the cradle to help and he's very artful at it.)

And because we are the sort of people we are, there was crafting. The plan was to craft ornaments for the tree, but the only good craft project was designed and brought by my boyfriend, Gordon. And it was so simple -- play-doh rolled out and cut with cookie cutters. We blended colors, embedded gems and stamped the clay with pine branches for texture.




With all that cooking and eating and hiking and crafting, we just about wore ourselves out. Baby Kai looked after things while we napped. (He looks like he is telling a bedtime story... and maybe he is.)


But I think it is just a clever ploy to get the grown-ups to fall asleep so he can peek into all those presents.
Merry Christmas Everyone.

12 comments:

Betty said...

Jenny,
It looks like you had a wonderful time! That sounds almost idyllic to me except the cooking part. I am worn out from all the cooking and I want a vacation from the kitchen. LOL. I'm wishing you the best of New Years!!

Vallen said...

It does sound absolutely perfect. That little one is getting big as they do. What fun he must be for a cuddle. Happy New Year dear Jenny.

Tami Bayer said...

Now, that's my kind of camping. What a beautiful way to spend the holiday. I love that you all brought craft projects....your clever boyfriend sounds like a keeper.

Francie...The Scented Cottage Studio said...

Well who knew G was crafty as well as handy !
Looks so cozy ...
(())
Francie

Debi Ward Kennedy said...

THERE'S A BOYFRIEND??????!!!

Miss Jenny, you ARE up to new tricks, aren't you?!!!

So happy for you!

FrenchGardenHouse said...

Jenny,

What a delightful way to spend Christmas! Looks like all of you had a wonderful time.
Happy New Year, too!
Lidy

Mary Anne said...

What a perfectly cozy first Christmas for the little guy!! (I can't believe how big he is already!!! WHAT A DOLL !!!) Glad you and your family had such a nice holiday!

Anonymous said...

Wow...Sounds like bliss to me. :)

Happy New Year

PAT said...

What a great place for Christmas, Jenny! I'd love to spend time there!

Just a china fetish note...I added to my china while we were in TN. Yep...Lenox Outlet was having 75% off Holiday pattern. I bought 12 dinner plates! What was I thinking! It just takes hold and there is no stopping it! Mikasa was closing...all the Mikasa outlets are closing....sigh.... I was looking for French Countryside, but they only had a stack of saucers left. O well...

Just thought I'd come by to wish you a very Happy New Year and I've spent the time "confessing"!

Wishing you the best in 2008!
Pat

Anonymous said...

How wonderful! What a great memeory that will always be. Can I join you next year?~luv~S

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Happy New Year, Jenny! Thanks for all your support over the last year. I appreciate it so much.

xo,
Rhoda

Anonymous said...

You write very well.