Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Will Work for China

Does everyone know I have a china fetish? Not of the very large, faraway Peoples Republic of, with billions of bicycling citizens and pandas that romp in the wild. Not that China. But rather china. Dishes, porcelain, ceramic, pottery, crockery, if you will. Have I mentioned it here before? If I haven't, well, there it is -- I'm now outta the closet. "My name is Jenny and I am a china addict."


I didn't even know I had china leanings till I was on my fourth... or fifth set. This is because they are not full sets. I've been a dabbler, a social addict. A few plates here, a service for four there, add on a serving piece or two. If you are a china addict then you know how it is -- you see a few pieces, half a set... Or an event crops up that warrants all new plates. It happens.

And as it happens, I like to mix and blend pieces -- all of mine have a pink, green, blue, yellow "theme". In fact I have Fiestaware in each of those colors. I have a set from Pier One Imports that are white with with pink, green, yellow and blue stripes around the rim. A set of Pfalzgraf I once stalked and snatched up on sale have pink and green and yellow and blue featured in fruit and flowers. Chintzware, bless it, goes with everything. So when I put all these pieces on my table, a few plates here, a few serving pieces there, they absolutely are fitting with one another.

But every china addict has their "Holy Grail" -- a certain pattern... Staffordshire's Welcome Home or Pfalzgraf's Grandma's Kitchen... the pattern that one desires above all others. For me that pattern is Franciscanware. The old stuff. the real stuff.

And yesterday... a client bartered my service of cleaning and organizing for the thing I want more than... a new car, diamond earrings, a bigger table saw or grass mowing for a year.

The thing I want, the pattern I most covet, is Franciscanware ~ Desert Rose:


Need I say more?

13 comments:

Betty said...

Jenny,
I have the same affliction. I have two china cabinets and that still isn't enough. I love that Desert Rose pattern too!
The snowflakes and stuff on my pictures were from a digi-scrapping program I bought. I'll try to find the name of it for you.

Francie...The Scented Cottage Studio said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Francie...The Scented Cottage Studio said...

Ohhhh Jenny....what a score !

WOOT.....LOLx2

KT said...

Yep. I know. Can't have too many dishes!
Very nice set.( My mom had those dishes when I was growing up.)

Katie

KT said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Hey, ms. Jenny! Haven't been by here in ages, but wanted to come by & say Merry Christmas! HOpe you are doing well...looks like you are very busy dying fabric & redoing & all that jazz.

I love dishes too & would probably have more if I had more room!

Christmas hugs!
RHoda

Vallen said...

Wow, that was some trade!!! I wish I could find a china pattern I just love. It seems like something every girl should have.

Debi Ward Kennedy said...

From one dish-a-holic to another, girl, you scored on this one!!!!! My grandmother had the Desert Rose pattern....just looking at your photos makes me feel as if I am in her kitchen. sigh.I know you will enjoy them every single day!

I once had fourteen different sets of dishes at once. I got no end of ribbing from the husband about how many dishes I was buying (even if they were cheap, he's a man and he doesn't get it) so I changed tactics: Now I collect only all-white dishes, in many patterns and sizes and textures, and now he never knows when I've added two or four or twelve to the collection!!!

Swamp Tulip said...

WOW - I love that pattern. How exciting for you to be paid in China :) - Lucky you!

PAT said...

Ah yes, Desert Rose, I love it! I have the same fetish!!

Pat

Mary Anne said...

OOoooohhhh !!! it's GORGEOUS !!!!Good for you!

FrenchGardenHouse said...

Jenny,

We could start a "china addiction" group!
Smart girl, Desert Rose is such a lovely pattern. Scored a great deal on that, you did!
Merry Christmas~will your holiday be "Desert Rose" themed?lol
xo Lidy

Betty said...

Jenny! I was thinking about you and wanted to wish you a warm, happy holiday!