Thursday, February 22, 2007

The Fake Cake -- Recipe of the Day








Um... YUM!!! The Fake Cake, frankly, was fabulous. Even if she was only being polite, my darling daughter-in-law, sent to me by God, repeatedly remarked that it was delicious. And because I don't know any better, I think so too. It is a plain old box mix spice cake... add chopped up dried apples and walnut pieces. (Please don't ask how much or how many as I never measure anything -- my best guesstimate is a handful, or maybe a little more -- always a little more.) These wee little rectangle cakes are a bit bigger than a cupcake. My little pan makes eight. You know how a pan is oiled and floured so the batter doesn't stick, but the flour leaves a white residue on the cake. I prevented that by mixing cinnamon with the flour. No white residue.
When the little cakes were cooled I sliced them in half, glazed the lower half with apple jelly topped with vanilla pudding (out of a Jello pudding cup, truly) the top half was replaced and iced on the top only with cream cheese icing. It made the dearest little cakes -- one box recipe made twelve. Easy and delicious.

1 comment:

Francie...The Scented Cottage Studio said...

Sounds like it really was delicious.
I am expecting a sample in the mail.
It's wonderful about your DIL, I was blessed with a wonderful one too!