Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Bright Spots


I met quite a lot of resistance to painting this cabinet. A person who thinks he knows better about everything was more than a little squeamish about it. "Paint it?" he shrieked. "Paint it what?" He did NOT want me to paint this cabinet. In fact, I thought he might become physically ill at the prospect.

First of all, it is my cabinet. It cost $25, bargain basement thrift store clearance. Had it been an ugly mutt in a back water dog pound, this cabinet woulda been a goner, for sure. Picture it, maple. Plain, sad, forgettable. To say it "needed a little lipstick" didn't begin to cover it. How bad could it be? How big a mistake can one make with paint?
"So you're going to paint it white?" he queried, hopefully. His voice rose a little on the last syllable, as if he were championing the ugly dog cabinet.
"Yeah, sure... white," I shrugged. Fact of it is, I am a lousy liar and not even a little bit cool. I had all the colors and patterns and designs picked out in my head and I couldn't wait, read COULD NOT WAIT, to get it all painted and purtied. I wanted to reveal this finished wild child cabinet with dramatic flair that maybe included silk drapes and a drum roll. Containing my glee was impossible. I physically did a happy dance when I brought in Mr. Keep-It-Maple Nay-sayer to see the transformation.
It ain't Plain Jane Maple any more. I LOVE this cabinet. And Mr. What-Are-You-Thinking loves it too. His face breaks into a big happy grin each time he sees it.
I won't insult anyone's intelligence by pointing out the obvious lessons here, other than to oh-so-subtley say, "OMG, again I am right."

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is a fabulous cabinet! Bravo! Bravo! It suits all your china perfectly. Jen? What did you put in the door panels? Way cool!

Francie...The Scented Cottage Studio said...

...trust you to take an ugly pound dog and turn it into a champion. :) That is a very happy cabinet!

OldBagNewTricks said...

Thanks to you both! I DO love this cabinet. Dori, the door panels are a little complicated. The "frame" is fabric precision cut to fit. The panel scenes are interconnected. One is of two peasant women gossiping whilst feeding geese. The other is a gaggle of geese crossing a stream to get to the peasant women who will feed them.
I should take a close up of all my little bits of china -- there's chintzware and an elderly bunny creamer. Good thing I don't have a bigger china cabinet -- this could quickly get out of hand!

Jenny

Debi Ward Kennedy said...

OMG woman, you ARE truly 'FABULOUS JEN'!!!!!! Love this...love it more because YOU WERE RIGHT! Again!! ;o)

(Why do they ever doubt us?!)

And if it WAS a puppy, it woudl be waggin' it's tail a hundred miles an hour. Happy happy happy

Sonia said...

Hello Jen,
I just happened to come across your blog today and as I was reading....that cabinet, just stood out... Can I just say, IT LOOKS MARVELOUS!! I love it and you did such a great job...