Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Support Your Local PBS Station!!!

I've been watching PBS forever -- haven't you? I know, I know, some folks think this is strictly a high brow thing to do, like yachting or joining the Junior League. Well, maybe other folks don't watch PBS the way I do. I started watching PBS when it featured the indomitable Julia Child -- and not because she made a first rate coq au vin. I watched her because I was nine years old and she talked funny. I had a secret private my very own TV and I was the only one in the house who could get the "UHF" stations and so I watched. I watched Julia and Big Bird. I watched Alistair Cooke and there was nothing high brow about it.

PBS took me to China and Alaska, it explained things the president said and it brought me Kukla, Fran and Ollie. I LOVED Kukla, Fran and Ollie.

And so I do this tiny little thing of donating to their Action Auction. The thing I have in abundance are doggie accoutrements -- a bed, a carry-bag, a water bowl, a collar and leash. This year the bed is paisley. Pink. And green. Last year it was red plaid.

Isn't the bed cute?


It's even cuter with Talia in it... but I draw the line at donating Talia. She's mine all mine.


See, the stuff I watch on PBS isn't high brow at all. In fact, I watch a lot of dumb stuff -- bad mysteries, old movies, woodworkers, seamstresses, painters. I once spent an entire rainy Saturday watching ANNE OF GREEN GABLES from beginning to end. The wonderful thing about donating to our local PBS is that when I am watching my favorites (or parking my grandson in front of Big Bird exactly the way I once parked his father, my son, in front of Big Bird) I don't feel one bit guilty the way I would if I didn't offer up so much as one thin dime.

Talia likes donating to PBS too -- she'll gladly trade in this bed and settle instead for a place on my bed. It's big of her.

So what's your favorite can't miss PBS show?

8 comments:

Ruby Mae said...

PBS gave me a love of old films with their "Matinee at the Bijou" series in the early '80s. I wish I could have seen Kukla, Fran and Ollie on our PBS station. But I go to this site and see them quite a bit:
http://kukla.tv/

FrenchGardenHouse said...

Pretty much all of them! High brow or not. Mystery. Masterpiece Theatre, Sesame Street {saved my life at one time during those terrible two years}

thanks for the visit, Happy Easter!!
xo Lidy

Betty said...

I'm a big fan of PBS too. I also remember spending a whole Saturday watching Anne of Green Gables. I've not only shopped the auctions but worked at them too. That's a lot of fun. My favorite show on PBS is Antiques Roadshow. I'm always hoping I'll see something on there that I own and bought for pennies but worth thousands.
Have a wonderful Easter Jenny!

Pat@Back Porch Musings said...

I've been watching PBS for many many many years. This Old House was one of my favorites, when Bob Vila was still there. Of course I love Norm and always will!

I think some of the best Brit TV can be found on PBS. Of course the old ones, like Keeping Up Appearances and As Time Goes By are among our favorites. I first saw Midsomer Murders on PBS and followed the series to A&E. I wish someone would pick up that show again. It was really very good, in my opinion.

Tami Bayer said...

Big PBS fan here, too. Hubby and I never miss the Antiques Road Show. I just know I'll find a true treasure at a yard sale and take it to the show to find it's worth gazillions. We love it. I also enjoy all the sewing and painting shows on saturday mornings. About the big bird, the cookie monster is my fave.

Francie...The Scented Cottage Studio said...

I am a PBS watcher AND supporter. I love all the Brit shows.

Your donations are wonderful but ummm you ARE keeping the best for yourself LOL.

(())

Teemie said...

Oh how funny Jenny, I was just telling my DD20 about Julia. I tried to read a recipe using her voice, lol

I have always enjoyed PBS!

Teemie said...

Oh and I forgot to tell you how lovely your auction selection is. Very pretty set. Any puppy would be so proud to have it for their own.