Friday, August 15, 2008

Ruthless

Where, oh where, has Jenny been? Trust me -- you would not have wanted to come along. I've been cleaning out closets, dismantling messes and rooting through the art room. Eek! And OH MY!


I am more of an autumn cleaner than a spring cleaner and of late there has been that "bite" in the air... the kids go back to school earlier and earlier and autumn is sure to follow. So I have begun. And it occurs to me that this house isn't big enough for me and all my nonsense. Oh My Heaven -- when you are a premiere bargain shopper it can sometimes be hard to pass up a really good deal... but if in the end it all gets bagged up and hauled off to thrift... where was the bargain?
And why, oh why, is it way more fun to buy stuff than it is to bag it up and haul it out. I don't get that same little thrill when I am randomly grabbing stuff up and shoving it in a black plastic trash bag as when the clerk at the store placed it in a shopping bag.

So now, when I am out shopping and a great, fabulous, spectacular bargain leaps upon me, I am prepared with a brand new shopping mantra: "Oh, Look, someone is going to be thrilled to find this deal... I will leave it for someone who will love it."

To be fair I have held onto quite a few things for a very long time. See those sweet Teddy bears -- I've had them for some 15 years. When you're as old as me stuff has had time to accumulate. Now it is time for stuff to disappear.

Bye-bye Teddy Bears. Bye-bye stuff.

7 comments:

Francie...The Scented Cottage Studio said...

Oh my Jenny...we are soooo related !
I am positive our sisters were switched at birth.

Now sweet sister, it's time to come to my house and help me do the same thing...hahahahahaha.

(())

Anonymous said...

Hi Jenny I am too a fall (spring)cleaner.! I'm right there with you!

Anonymous said...

I enjoy Spring, but Fall is my favorite. I find I do more clearing out during Fall, also. I really need to get busy with the closets here!

Dori said...

I'm a fall cleaner-upper, too. We've got a community garage sale coming up next weekend, so I must finally tackle our garage boxes and bags! Diving in today, I am! :)

Betty said...

Good for you Jenny! I filled our truck with bags of stuff for the thrift a few weeks ago. I look around though and I still have too much stuff!

Gretel said...

I feel SO much better about my hoarding now I have seen yours! :))

Vallen said...

Me, too. Me, too. What didn't sell at the yard sale was out the door and in my car and hauled to the charities. I will not buy more stuff. I will not buy more stuff. I will not buy more stuff...